Cuaxochtli

R. Joe Campbell campbel at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Feb 20 16:39:52 UTC 2006

Yukitaka,

     Prodded by questions and remarks from my wife (Mary Clayton),
I recalled a verb that may be the key to answering part of your
cuaxochtli problem.

     "xotla" is 'to cut', usually slicing or into strips.  "nitlalxotla"
is 'amojonar o alindar terminos o eredades' (according to Molina).
In Book 5, p. 169 of the Dibble and Anderson edition of the Florentine
Codex, "quitlalxochilia" (with the /tl/ palatalized to 'ch') occurs,
meaning 'he makes marks on the ground'.

     "xoch(tli) is apparently a patientive noun form derived from "xotla".

This palatalization of /tl/ is also seen in "xapochtic", derived from
"xapo(tl)-tla", the "-tla" being a transitive verb formative.
     Molina gives:

     nitlaxapotla   abrir o horadar pared; agujerear; horadar o romper
                    pared, seto o cosa semejante
     nitexapotla    corromper virgen; desflorar; desuirgar

     The patientive noun "tlaxapochtli" is a hole and you even get
"ninotlaxopochhuia" 'caer en hoyo. o abarrancarse'.

     So "cuaxochtli" is apparently (I withhold the word 'obviously')
a slice or division, modified by a "cua-" element.  ...and we are left
to wonder "where have all the flowers gone?"

Saludos,

Joe