Fwd: Re: [Nahuat-l] Schools

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 2 11:53:11 UTC 2006

----- Forwarded message from mmccaffe at indiana.edu -----
    Date: Fri,  2 Jun 2006 07:51:33 -0400
    From: mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Subject: Re: [Nahuat-l] Schools
      To: "R. Joe Campbell" <campbel at indiana.edu>

In grad school I wanted to take a language of the Americas. There was
only Zapotec and Nahuatl offered that semester. Before the semester
started I called the Zapotec teacher and he wasn't home. I called the
Nahuatl teacher, Joe Campbell, and he was home, and he was enthusiastic
about teaching the course. So, I signed up.

Then i spent two semesters daily with Joe in a Nahuatl class with one
other student. It was the best class i ever took, hands down. By the
second semester we were reading the Florentine codex.

After that i studied Andrews and Thelma Sullivan, Carochi, on my own,
and a few others. Then a few years later, I taught Nahuatl to three
successive beginning groups and two advanced groups at Indiana. When
the money dried up, I joined a "Nahuatl circle" that includes Joe and
Pablo Garcia, my best student.

That's my story.

Michael McCafferty

----- End forwarded message -----