How Nahuatl found me

John F. Schwaller schwallr at morris.umn.edu
Fri Jun 2 13:38:41 UTC 2006

Colleagues,

At the risk of being repetitious, my story is not really that
exciting.  Like Fran Karttunen and Michael McCafferty,  I was a
graduate student at Indiana University.  Unlike them, I was studying
colonial Mexican history.  My advisor, John Lombardi, suggested that
learning Nahuatl might be of great utility in my research.  It just
so happened that IU was a federally funded Latin American Studies
center and offered Nahuatl, and other native languages, which
qualified for federal assistance under the National Defense Foreign
Language Act.  So my second year of graduate work I earned a
fellowship to learn Nahuatl under the direction of Joe Campbell.  It
was one of those transformative experiences.  Joe was/is so
passionate about the language that it was impossible not to get
sucked in.  My fondest memories are of making glossaries of Nahuatl
words that we would then enter on to punch cards to form Joe's data
base.  We read the Horcasitas folk tales, and then worked on
individual entries in the Molina dictionary.  After about 2 years
with Joe, I even had the temerity to offer Nahuatl at IU through the
popular university program.  I used to joke that I learned Nahuatl
from a computer, programmed by Joe.  I also recall that when I tried
to read Sahagun it seemed the most difficult and impenetrable thing I
had ever seen.  As a graduate student I began to catalogue Nahuatl
language manuscripts in the US, working first with the collection at
the Lilly Library.  In 1974, I met Jim Lockhart, and got to know Fran
Karttunen, as I provided minimal archival assistance in finding
colonial Nahuatl documents.

I then went on to a career as a history and Spanish prof.  At every
institution where I have worked, I have taught Nahuatl, Florida
Atlantic University, the U. of Montana, and here at the U. of
Minnesota.  Once I became an administrator and archival research
became more difficult because of my "day job," I have turned more and
more to Nahuatl.  It's something I can work on in my spare
moments.  Also in the mid-1980s I received funding from NEH to
develop a catalogue of Nahuatl language manuscripts in the US, which
was eventually published by the Academy of American Franciscan
History.  Also in the mid-80's at the behest of Marc Eisinger of
France, I initiated this discussion list.  It makes it one of the
oldest lists around, having begun during the precursor to the
internet, bitnet.  I also developed www.nahuatl.org, which
unfortunately languishes from time to time due to my commitments elsewhere.

As Fran pointed out, I make copies of the "Foundation Course"
available.  Right now it is out of print, but when I get to Potsdam,
NY, I'll have more copies printed and it will be for sale once again.

I have worked on the Guide to Confession written by Bartolome de
Alva, on some of the cofradia constitutions of Molina, and recently I
have been looking at nuances in Sahagun's Psalmodia and
Coloquios.  Ironically I now find Sahagun to be quite clear and
straightforward and use selections for readings when I teach Nahuatl.

I must give my deepest thanks to Joe Campbell and certainly to Fran
Karttunen.  Without them I would never have persisted in Nahuatl as
long as I have.  Their passion for the language has certainly inspired me.

John F. Schwaller
President
SUNY Potsdam
schwaljf at potsdam.edu