Tlacaelel

villas villas at ANAWAK.COM
Wed Mar 15 20:12:12 UTC 2006

I used Remi Simeons Nahuatl dictionary for all definitions in this
e-mail.

Tlaca is the plural of Tlacatl. Tlacatl s. adj. Hombre, noble señor,
humano.

Tlacatecolotl was the word used by Nahuatl speaking priests to try to
define the devil, since the mesoamericans had no concept of devil or
evil for that matter and since tecolotl is owl and it has apparent
horns, they (the priests) tried to use this image of a horned human,
hence tlacatecolotl: Devil. Tlacatecolotl is not the nahual form of a
shaman, it is a spaniard invention.

One should look at other uses of tlacatl, i.e. Tlacateotl, the second
king of Tlatelolco. Possibly Mangod or something similar to that.
Tlacatian, place of birth, "patria", etc. Tlacatlacuiloliztli, painter
of men. Tlacatilitzinoa, birth of a boy. Tlatilizilhuitl, birthday.
Tlacatiliztli, birth, generation.

So we can see that Tlacatl is linked to the concept of person or human
as well as a principle of generation or human birth.

El,  adj. on the other hand is used only with possesive, no, mo, i,
etc, and it means diligent, careful etc and with the neg. anel, i'm
lazy, amel, you are lazy etc.
on the other hand,
  elele! interj. expresses suffering: ay!, ay!
elleli, afliction, pain.
elli, liver.

I would construct Tlacaelel to mean Person who generates suffering. (of
the other, the enemy, etc).

Marcos