Tlacaelel

John F. Schwaller schwallr at morris.umn.edu
Wed Mar 15 20:39:46 UTC 2006

At 02:12 PM 3/15/2006, Marcos
  wrote:
>So we can see that Tlacatl is linked to the concept of person or
>human as well as a principle of generation or human birth.
>
>El,  adj. on the other hand is used only with possesive, no, mo, i,
>etc, and it means diligent, careful etc and with the neg. anel, i'm
>lazy, amel, you are lazy etc.
>on the other hand,
>  elele! interj. expresses suffering: ay!, ay!
>elleli, afliction, pain.
>elli, liver.
>

>I would construct Tlacaelel to mean Person who generates suffering.
>(of the other, the enemy, etc).

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way.  Just because the
bits come together does not mean that the whole is the sum of the
parts.  That's why several folk have been commenting on whether the
"-elel" actually represents anything having to do with "liver" or is
another grammatical construction altogether.

John F. Schwaller
President - elect
SUNY Potsdam

Until 6-30-06: