ihtoa, itohtia, etc.

micc2 micc2 at cox.net
Tue May 16 19:47:38 UTC 2006

Hello to all,

I ran this question by the list about five or so years ago, and it
provided an interesting conversation.  I thought I had saved all of the
correspondence, and either I lost
it, or I did not save it.  But now with five years of new research, and
hopefully new members to pick their tzontecomitl here goes:

Is there a relationship between "ihtoa:"- to speak, and "ihto:tia" - to
dance? i realize that the long O in ihto:tia is a problem, but it
appears to me that
there might be, could be, (I want it to be so bad!) a relationship
between the two.

When one looks at mihtoa "se dice" and mihto:tia "se baila" it looks
even more connected...except for that selfish little long o in the
middle of ihto:tia....

I would like to posit that "ihto:tia" - to dance means to cause to be
said  mo + ihto:tia  "se hace decir" (through body movement) and thus
may have represented the spiritual or religious dancing of the past
(which would have included state sponsored rituals and perhaps even then
use of hallucinogenics).

I further theorize that the second verb for dance "macehua" (and forgive
me if I do not know if it has any long vowels) signified the everyday
dances of the commoners.

Some  examples would be a ballet at the Met , or a choreography at a
fourth of July banquet at the White house, or a Papal mass that included
dancing (which of course we would consider very odd now a days)

Examples of the "macehua"  dancing would be cumbia, quebradita,
merengue, the aiky brakey heart, and of course the electric slide.

I know, the vowel length makes it look like I am skating on thin cetl.
Sort of like caro and carro in Spanish  ¿que no?

mario

--
I live for reasoned, enlightened spirituality.

"Tlacecelilli", tranquilidad, paz
www.mexicayotl.org