Nahuatl scholarship

Michael Swanton mwswanton at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 05:03:07 UTC 2006

Excuse my delay in getting back; its been a bit rough
here in Oaxaca recently and I have been distracted.

Ben, already knowledgeable about New Philology (NP),
asked for biographical information, but also for
suggestions as to “persistent problems, questions and
unexplored avenues that remain”. My message attempted
to provide ideas that build on the important work of
NP, but--as far as I’m aware--have generally not been
unexplored in the NP literature.

I truly hope I didn’t give anyone the impression that
I consider NP to have been operating with blinders.
This is not at all my belief. I don’t think Lockhart’s
“The Nahuas after the Conquest” has ever presumed to
be “the be-all and end-all” (as Barry said) of
colonial Nahua scholarship. But it is unquestionably a
tremendous advance. I have come back to that book over
and over again and my appreciation for it has only
grown. I also hope nobody took my message to say that
NP has been lazy in its investigations. Again, this
could not be farther from the truth. NP has been an
exceptionally productive school of history. We are
“only human” (as Barry said); it certainly would be
unfair and hypocritical to expect then a superhuman,
all-encompassing research production.

Again, my message was not directed towards established
investigators as a criticism for not having done more
things; it was directed towards someone who is about
to begin a PhD investigation. I believe its important
for someone who is about to set off on such an
investigation to consider actively ways to expand the
already existing research. Perhaps others here have
some ideas as well and would consider posting them
here. I for one would be most interested to read them.

I found John’s message very interesting. Enormous work
needs to be done in the descriptive linguistics and
documentation of Mexican languages. Moreover, it is
becoming increasingly apparent that the continued
internal colonialism of indigenous people in Mexico
needs to be dealt with urgently. Educational programs
such as John’s help do that. My congratulations to him
for having taken up these challenges.

Based on what has been published over the past three
decades by those claiming to be working in this
school, I would describe NP as the study of colonial
history of indigenous peoples primarily through the
close reading of colonial language texts in their own
languages (most notably Nahuatl, Yucatec and Mixtec).
Is this characterization fair? John, how do you see
your work within the tradition of NP?

To rephrase, and hopefully clarify, my previous
message, I’d make the following off-the-cuff
suggestions for a PhD candidate interested in
preparing a dissertation on Nahuatl-language sources.
1-Consider work on a local, (for example, municipal or
mayordomia) archive. This can be a good way to
understand Mexican archives and also will contribute
directly to the protection of the documents
themselves.
2-(Related to first) Consider lower-level indigenous
institutions (mayordomias, secciones, barrios
) as a
possible case study. Many of these institutions have
left local archives with indigenous-language
documentation which, as far as I’m aware, almost
nobody has looked at.
3-Consider ways in which knowledge from other
disciplines can contribute to the study of these
texts. The issue here is how to avoid the constraints
of disciplinary classifications—-while respecting the
necessary differentiation and specialization of the
social sciences—-to arrive at new, insightful and
useful interpretations of social reality. Ideally this
would have interdisciplinarity be a unifying activity
drawing together divided knowledge to address specific
problem or question. The interpretation of texts (i.e.
philology, new or old) lends itself to such an
interdisciplinary approach.
4-Consider indigenous history after the 18th century.
5-Consider incorporating modern indigenous oral
literature, speech genres and rhetoric into the study
of older documents.
6-Spend some time living in an indigenous community if
you can.

Many other tasks are necessary for the development a
more refined Mesoamerican philology. Many basic tools
are only just being made now. The publication of
critical editions (like Barry is doing) is crucial.
The painstaking work of making morphological or
lexical concordances (like Joe Campbell is doing) is
invaluable. Establishing censes of known
indigenous-language documentation (like Frederick
Schwaller has done and Michel Oudijk and Maria
Castañeda are doing) is also essential. Digitalization
of the texts (like Stephanie and the U Oregon team is
doing with the wired humanities project), the
preservation of texts, the creation of text-based
grammars, etymological dictionaries
the list goes on
and on. And these are just the tools based on the
older written sources! This barely touches on the
living cultures. But perhaps these important tasks
don’t make for a good dissertation topic on Nahua
history.

I am in complete agreement with John that we should
make the training and support of indigenous
professionals in history (linguistics, archaeology,
sociology, etc) a priority; I would argue we should
make it our foremost priority. But, of course, it is
not reasonable to expect much advance on this from a
PhD student who has yet to determine his dissertation
topic.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting comments.

Mike Swanton