cuatemitoc

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Fri Nov 17 01:37:30 UTC 2006

Hi Joe,
	First of all, yes, both kinds of causatives occur in Huastecan Nahuatl.
Now here is what I got from the native speakers today:

TE:MI > TE:MIC.
          Temi coxtalli (the bag fills up)
          Nictemitia coxtalli (I fill up the bag)
          Niquintemitilia inincoxtal Maria huan Pedro (I fill up
their bag for Maria and Pedro)
          *The last two can be modified to say: Nictemitia coxtalli
ica cintli. Niquintemitilia inincoxtal Maria huan Pedro ica cintli.
TE:MA, nic. > TE:NQUI.
          Nictema cintli (I pour the corn)
          Nictemilia cintli coxtalli (I pour the corn in the bag).

There also seems to be a double causative built on temitia, which the
native speakers are a bit fuzzy on: Nictemitiltia coxtalli. One
opinion is that it emphasizes the fact that the job was really done,
while another says that while “Nictemitia coxtalli” doesn’t require
the specification of “ica cintli”, the double form does:
Nictemitiltia coxtalli ica cintli.
John
PS, By the way, what are causative forms 1-7>
John