Hello

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Fri Nov 24 22:38:33 UTC 2006

Matthew,
	Long vowel notation is a problem that has never been resolved,
partly because of the different communities involved. Nahua writers
have never given importance to marking vowel length (except those who
work for linguists). The few colonial texts which show vowel length
use a macron. And today only professionals working on language
documentation projects consider it important, which it is for that
purpose (they tend to use a semi-colon).
	So the question is, Why do you want to show long vowels in your
file? If it's for reference, that's fine. If it's for everyday
writing, than neither semicolons nor capital letters will work,
because they are used for other purposes. I like to use macrons for
language documentation because of their tradition, but as you imply,
they come out as rubbish when most people open the file.
	At this time I don't think it's possible to come up with an answer
that all participants will embrace.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México