Long vowel notation

jonathan.amith at yale.edu jonathan.amith at yale.edu
Tue Nov 28 17:31:17 UTC 2006

Dear listeros,

Use of double vowels to represent length is problematical with sequences of
double vowels, particularly in reduplication.

e.g., a:polaki can reduplicate in Ameyaltepec as a:a:polaki or
aa:apolaki (the h
is lost word internally in Ameylatepec). With double letters one would write
aaaapolaki and
aaapolaki

A sequence of three vowels would be ambiguous between
VV:
and
V:V

Also, there are cases of double vowels
iich  ´his or her maguey hemp´
koo:lo:tl type of tree Guazuma ulmifolia.

I use colons for typing and macrons for writing by hand (e.g., students on the
blackboard) and in publication.

I have found that beginning students usually write the segments without vowel
length and then add length after going over the words. Macrons are best for
this. The problem is searching for macroned vowels in electronic format, as
well as typing.

Finally, in Oapan there are tones, so long vowels are distinguished by tone

a:polaki
á:polaki (the iterative form, in other variants aha:polaki)

jda

--
Jonathan D. Amith
Director: Mexico-North Program on Indigenous Languages