chichimeca (false etymology/mnemonic/rude joke)

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Fri Oct 27 12:49:49 UTC 2006

Susan,
	"Chichimeca" doesn't come from "dog" and "rope". "chichimecah" is a
plural noun meaning "inhabitants of (the altepetl/town) Chichiman". A
singular inhabitant would be "chichimecatl". The name of the town
itself can be divided into "-man", an ending for names of towns in
Nahuatl, and "chichi". There is a "chichi" meaning "dog" which has
two short "i"s (Nahuatl distinguishes between short and long vowels),
but the "chichi" in "chichimecatl" has two long "i"s, so it can't
mean "dog". The "chichi" with long "i"s is a shortened form of the
root for the Nahuatl words meaning "breast" and "milk".

The analysis of town names in Nahuatl is usually not that difficult.
On the one hand, there is a fixed set of endings, of which "-man" is
an option. On the other hand, you need to find out what the beginning
portion, in this case "chichi", of the town name means. It has been
my experience that the great majority of these town names are related
to themes of Mesoamerican sacred landscape. So if you are trying to
translated one of these names and your options include something
having to do with landscape components of the migration (Aztlán,
Chicomoztoc and Colhuahcan), go with that option. There is a very
beautiful representation (in the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca?) of the
infant Nahua clan founders suckling from a gourd tree. This, along
with the morphological analysis of the town names, is the kind of
evidence you would want to look for in order to translate
"chichimecah" and "chichiman".
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México