Ximochoque

Eli Salamanca ecultura at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 16:49:59 UTC 2007

Dear Listeros:

I need your help in translating the name "Ximochoque", the
pre-conquest name of San Pedro Lagunillas, Nayarit,
Mexico.

San Pedro Lagunillas in a small tiny town, surrounded by
small lakes and volcanoes.

The natives here say Ximochoque is an otomi word,
which evidently is not true, meaning "bules amargos"
(bitter jars).  Bule (guaje, calabazo) is one of the names for the
ancient nahuatl name xicalli (that became jícara after the
españolización) and it there used to be hundreds of different kind
of bules here. Now they are gone.

I live in San Pedro Lagunillas, and I need to write
an ancient history of the town.

If anyone helps me, I will give the credit for
the translation.

Thank you very much.