[Aztlan] Calcos?Calque or Cuiloa (David Becraft)

David Becraft david_becraft at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 19:07:44 UTC 2007

Mr. Georges,

It appears I have created neologisms.  That was not my intention though, my
intention was to find a word that best describes and defines the type of
writing that existed in pre-Hispanic Mesoamerica.  Words such as
Semasiography, Logography, and Phonetism do not completely define that type
of writing.  Since Mesoamerican writing was a "mixed system", I am trying to
find in either the primary sources or as a new "neologism" the correct
concept to explain pre-Hispanic writing.

One cannot say that Mesoamerican writing was merely Logographic, nor purely
Phonetic, nor purely Semasiographic; though Semasiography was at least 80%
of the bulk (Wright 2004: Seminario de Codices).
Yes, the word "cuiloa" I was intent on using for the Greek term "graph(y)".
But I was also trying to find a word that best represented the type of mixed
system that existed.  My use of the word Nezcayotia, "to mean, denote, or
indicate something" (Karttunen 1992: 172) was to hopefully serve the
function of explaining what "we" call "mixed writing".  Of course, I doubt
that Mesoamericans thought of their writing as "mixed" since this of course
is a modern concept based on "Near Eastern" theories of writing.

By "Cotonqui" (Molina or Simeon; I don't have my dictionaries at the
moment), it was meant to define a "fragment, division or small part" of a
word.  I was told that "-tontli" was enough though.

Thank you for your comments.

David F. Becraft
Anthropology
Southern Oregon University