Nahuatl Summer Program in Zacatecas

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Fri May 11 21:22:59 UTC 2007

Listeros,
	I am happy to announce that this summer, there will be eight
instructors and TAs working with us in the "Intensive Course in Older
and Modern Nahuatl", at the Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas. All
are native speakers of Nahuatl from the Huasteca Region of Mexico.
1. Delfina de la Cruz de la Cruz, BA in Economics, and primary
instructor of Modern Nahuatl in our program
2. Manuel Cruz de la Cruz, BS in Psychology (he will begin his
Masters in Indoamerican Linguistics at CIESAS in Mexico City this Fall)
3. Eliazar Hernández Hernández, (will have his BA in Law in about a
month)
4. Victoriano Cruz de la Cruz, BA in Accounting (he will begin his
Masters in Indoamerican Linguistics at CIESAS in Mexico City this Fall)
5. Sabina Cruz de la Cruz, (will finish her coursework in Law this
semester)
6. Catalina Cruz de la Cruz (third year Law student)
7. Ofelia Cruz Morales (will finish her coursework in Law this semester)
8. Aracely Cruz Francisco (first year student in Accounting).
	I am also happy to announce that Victoriano Cruz de la Cruz has just
returned from UC Berkeley, where he spent the month of April as an
instructor of Modern Huastecan Nahuatl. All of the above native
speakers have been trained here as instructors of Modern Nahuatl
conversation and grammar, and are available for teaching this kind of
course at universities outside of Mexico. Study abroad programs are
practically non-existent in Mexico, and I would like to be able to
offer each one of the indigenous students who participates in our
program here, the opportunity to visit a foreign university.
	Anyone interested in setting up this kind of course at their home
institution, or discussing other kinds of collaborative activities,
can contact me.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua language and culture
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Zacatecas Institute of Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
Mexico