Nahuatl Summer Program in Zacatecas

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Mon May 14 15:59:34 UTC 2007

Delia,
	It's not off topic. During the massive campaign of baptism after the
Conquest, indians were given saint's names and these became the last
names of most Nahuas today. "Cruz" or "de la Cruz" is very common in
the region (municipality of Chicontepec, Veracruz) where most of my
students come from (One of my huichol students es also "Cruz").
Francisco, not common as a last name among Spaniards or Mexican
Mestizos, is relatively common among Nahuas.
	Of the list below, there are two sets of relatives. Sabina and
Catalina are sisters. Delfina and Manuel are sister and brother
(Manuel's birth certificate, for some reason was registered
differently from his sister's). Eliazar's last names are completely
different from the rest. And even though he is from Huextetitlan,
Orizatlan, Hidalgo, he says that the last names "Cruz" and "de la
Cruz" are common in his town.
John