Teuctli

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 24 10:46:11 UTC 2007

Quoting "John Sullivan, Ph.D." <idiez at mac.com>:

> Sorry for the late comment on this topic. In Northern Veracruz
> Nahuatl, we also have "tecohtli", "dueño", and "itecoh", "su dueño".
> But I can't see how this could be a spelling pronunciation. The
> Huasteca is peripheral to the Central Mexican writing tradition, and
> I just can't see literacy as having had any significant impact on
> speech in this area. Also, in this region a syllable final "w" sounds
>  very much like an "h", perhaps a bit more prolonged. In
> Tamazunchale,  only a few hours away, the sound is still pretty much
> like the "h",  but the rounding is perceptible.
> John

It's hard to say, John, what is going on, but it could be in "tecohtli"
a simple case of contraction, that is, a contraction of the original
/-kw-/ of the stem /te:kw-/ 'lord' to [-ko(h-)] at the spoken level. We
see such a thing, for example, in Miami-Illinois, an Algonquian
language, where, say, phonemic /ceenkwihtanki/ 'it thunder-flows'
(i.e., 'it is a waterfall') can go to phonetic [ceenkohtangi]. ( c "ch")

Michael