[Aztlan] Ball game question

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Mon Apr 13 19:56:13 UTC 2009

Dear Pedro,

   Frank is right about the root for "tlachco" being <tlach> -- that's
implied in my notation in a prior message: "tlach(tli)".  Sometimes I
forget to repeat that I refer to noun stems in Nahuatl with their
absolutive suffixes attached -- I think that makes them more quickly
recognizable.  On the other hand, "tlachtli" has no linguistic relation
to 'rubber'.  Further, roots don't 'produce' words with another meaning
by the addition of the absolutive suffix.

   With regard to the claimed relationship between "tlachia" and
"chia", there are two schools of thought.  "Chia" means 'wait for' and
some people believe that the "tla-" prefix fused onto it, producing an
intransitive stem: "tlachia" ('to look, gaze). Some other people
believe that "chia" and "tlachia" are simply independent stems/roots.
   In any case, "chia" has nothing to do with 'to make' -- that's the
job of "chihua" (where there is a /w/ in the  i_a  slot).  Actually,
when I say 'nothing to do with', that's not fair to the dialect of
Nahuatl spoken along the coast in Michoacan -- it has forms of <chiwa /
chihua> in which there is homophony with forms of <chia>.

   Your remark about "tlachiaya" and "coa" / "cohua" points to a need
to clarify what is going on with "ia" vs. "iya" and "oa" vs. "ohua".
In both "older" Nahuatl and in modern Nahuatl, there is no phonetic
(i.e., pronunciation) distinction between these pairs.  In the well
known modern dialects and in the Nahuatl contained in the works of
Molina and Sahagun, "y" is deleted after "i" when another vowel
follows, just as "w" (spelled "hu") is deleted after "o" when another
vowel follows.  On the other hand, some dialect *insert* "y" after "i"
and "w" ("hu") after "o" in these sequences.
   So it seem that sequences like "ia" and "iya" (like "oa" and "ohua")
cannot be distinguished...?  But it *is* possible if we look at the
variable behavior of relevant stems:

   nitlachia  I gaze         ninihtotia    I dance
  onitlachix  I gazed        oninihtotih   I danced

   niccoa     I buy it       nitlahcuiloa  I write
  oniccouh    I bought it   onitlahcuiloh  I wrote

   The appearance of final "x" ("sh") and "uh" ("w") in "chia" and
"cohua" betrays the presence of a "y" and "w", respectively, in
"tlachia" and "coa", whereas "ihtotia" and "tlahcuiloa" behave
otherwise, simple dropping their "a" and adding "-h".  In other words,
"ihtotia" and "tlahcuiloa" really do end in a sequence of two vowels,
but "tlachia" and "niccoa" have a surreptitious consonant before their
final vowel!!

All the best,

Joe

p.s.  I brought our discussion back to Nahuat-l, since I thought it was
of general interest.

Dear Professor Campbell

I spoke to my nawatl teacher Frank Diaz, the root for Tlachko is Tlach, it
produces the noun Tlachtli "Rubber" , in the other hand the word Tlachia
observe comes form the word Chia to make and when we add Tla as an
acentuation is tranformed to Tlachia observe, to see with atention.
Tlachiaya is a derivation like koa produces kowa in certain areas.

good day

Pedro