Ometeotl

micc2 micc2 at cox.net
Fri Apr 17 17:53:19 UTC 2009

Dear Pedro,

While it would seem that this analysis could be valid, there are
examples of where the numerical is not treated to the loss of the final
part:

nahuiollin or nahui ollin.

perhaps out of convention or style the name ome teotl became one word?

What do you have as proof of ....."This conception of this trinity an[d]
the union of it, was shared by all the people of Mesoamerica"?

I have seen one, two, four, eight, 13, 52, etc., spoken of as being
significant often,  but I cannot remember any pre-conquest allusions to
a "trinity"

Duality (twins, life, death...) yes.... trinity... I have not seen it

Please let me know your citations.

If there are post-conquest allusions to a trinity,  I believe that that
would be a negotiation of theology by the indigenous people to

conform their world view to a Christian view imposed by the Spanish.

When we look at post-conquest writings (especially 1530-1690) we need to
look for resilient negotiation and bicultural meaning when indigenous
informants speak of the divine.

respectfully,

Mario E. Aguilar, PhD
www.mexicayotl.org