Understanding of a folk etymology

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Thu Apr 23 23:37:55 UTC 2009

I'd like to second Galen's judgement of "good question".  "nemontemi"
certainly gets the linguistic cogs turning in more frenzy than the
analysis of some other problems.  I'll give here what is a short form
of what I think is a possible solution and come back later with more
material.

   I think the initial element of "nemontemi" is the particle "ne:m"
and the rest of the "phrase" is "on-te:mi".  "ne:m" means "useless, in
vain, fruitless" and usually shows up as "nen", since it appears more
often before consonants than before vowels (e.g., "ninenquiza (I fail
to have success), nentlacatl (worthless person, nentlachiuhtli
(unnecessary thing), etc.).

   I think the sense of "nemontemi" (or perhaps earlier, as a phrase,
"nen ontemi": it uselessly fills (those empty five days)

   Mary finds in the vocabulario anonimo (Ayer ms. 1478):

  nenontemi             Bissiesto

  ilhuitl nenontemi     entrepuesto dia

I'll be back later,

Joe