graphemes

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Wed Apr 22 09:45:01 UTC 2009

Listeros,
	It is important to distinguish between sound documentation and
spelling systems. If you want to represent sounds, you will eventually
have to create separate systems for each town, and as science
progresses, for each household and each native speaker. This is fine
for linguists and for teaching Nahuatl as a second language if you've
decided to eliminate the possibility of using native speakers as
instructors. But it will eliminate any hope of using writing as a
means of communication for native speakers. And this is fine if your
goal is the extinction of Nahuatl language and culture.
	Spelling systems, on the other hand, are a product of tradition. In
Nahuatl, the use of digraphs comes originally from Spanish, but their
use was standardized to a great degree by the native speakers who
created the immense corpus of Older written Nahuatl during the
Colonial Period. The Mexican education system has gone to great
lengths to separate native speakers from their written cultural
legacy. So it is not strange that Miguel Barrios would think that by
using the "k" and the "w", he is affirming his indigenous identity. He
obviously does not realize that he is actually widening the chasm
between Modern native speakers and their written cultural heritage.
	Is Miguel Barrios attempting to use letters to represent sounds? If
so, why does he use one letter, the "n", to represent both a voiced
nasal, such as the "n" in "tonal", and a devoiced nasal, such as the
"n" at the end of "Kaxtillan"? Why is he using a single "l" in "tonal"
and a double "l" in "kaxtillan"? Why does he not represent the
devoiced "w" at the end of "itonalama"? If you want to depart from
tradition, fine, but you need to put your money where your mouth is.
Why is it that no one has proposed to change the horrible English
spelling system? First, because as I said, the result would be that
from now on, no native speaker would be able to read Shakespeare, Walt
Witman or Gloria Anzaldúa. Second, your first task would be to
dedicate the rest of your life (actually you would need a team to
continue after your death) writing a dictionary (preferably
monolingual) that applies your new system to every word in the
language. Because spelling systems are not codified by government
decrees or the whims of individuals; they are codified by dictionaries.
	There is also a thing called "standing on the shoulders of giants".
Unless you are blinded by extreme Narcisism, you would see that in the
long history of Nahuatl alphabetic writing, many people actually have
dedicated their lives to the rigorous work of making dictionaries. And
when I say "dictionary", I don't mean "glossary" or "vocabulary",
because there is a big difference. Molina, Simeon, Campbell and
Kartunnen, for example, form a long tradition of giants who build on
the work of their predecessors. So, if you want to continue the
tradition, either go out and buy a dictionary or start making one. And
if you want to break with tradition, then sit down and get to work on
your dictionary.
	Lastly, and this is a rhetorical question, why do you suppose it is
that in the many decades and billiones of pesos that have been
invested in Mexican indigenous education, not a single reference work
(dictionary, thesaurus, grammar, encyclopedia) has been produced for
use in the system?
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua language and culture
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Zacatecas Institute of Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Tacuba 152, int. 43
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
Mexico