On te:cuhtli and other alleged sins

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Aug 21 16:58:06 UTC 2009

Gordon:

I too have published papers with the cuh for /kw/ spelling, and have taught
students to say mo-te-cu-so-ma instead of moc-te-su-ma, back when I was
phonetically more naive than today. I'm grateful to Andrews, Kartunnen,
Campbell, Lockhart, et al. for showing me the way to Carochi and taking me
beyond the seminal but dated Garibay-Sullivan school and closer to the
phonological essence of early colonial Nahuatl. Of course, anyone can spell
things however they want (unless an editor gets in their way).