hoary spoonbill

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Mon Dec 7 04:02:02 UTC 2009

David Wright asked:

> 1. Could the flamingo identification of the word quecholli come from the
> fact that Spaniards of the early colonial period called the roseate
> spoonbill "ave flamenca"? (The only documented case of this that I have is
> the Torquemada quote.)

The identification is quite common, i know in modern times, and I would
suppose earlier too.  Throughout the Gulf and Caribbean the Roseate
Spoonbill was commonly called a Flamingo.  My wife and I are amateur bird
watchers and lived in Florida for 14 years.  Spoonbills are always called
Flamingos by locals, until you actually see a Flamingo.  They are both
brilliant pink, but structurally quite different.

--
John F. Schwaller
President,
schwallr at potsdam.edu