Fwd: Aztecs gone astray: Some input from Chimalpahin

Sharon Peters theabroma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:40:57 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sharon Peters <theabroma at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Nahuat-l] Aztecs gone astray: Some input from Chimalpahin
To: Gordon Whittaker <gwhitta at gwdg.de>

Listeros:
What charming spectacle to sit and watch esta Guerra Florida unfold.  I am
waiting with great anticipation the unveiling of the tzompantli which will,
surely result.

First it was the Unknown Listero who lighted the powder keg with his
passionate, and passionately fractured statements about the Aztecs and
Aztlan.  Either he lived through the glory days of La Causa, or is
channeling the spirit of one who did.

It is necessary to sort out the who's who - teasing out the cultural genome
of Mesoamerica, but Lordy! use your academic credentials for something other
than a bludgeon.  You have whacked at the poor Unknown Listero with them,
even after you surely noted that he was an individual pining for the
mythical glory days of the tribe (whichever one and from whatever point), as
so thoroughly documented in its own codices - committed to black velvet.  It
seems Unknown Listero provided the excuse for everyone else to just go at
each other.  Not argumentation and debate - Talmudic pil-pul, but outright
bashing.  Only thing missing was a macana.

I, for one, would like argumentation and debate leading to thought and
information.  We have already been provided with a Forspice of "how low can
you go?"

Thanks,

S. Peters

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Gordon Whittaker <gwhitta at gwdg.de> wrote:

> [...]
> herons", as he also calls it; see p. 73), not the island of Aztlan. It is
> unclear whether he then equates Chicomoztoc with Colhuacan, as the
> mountain containing the seven caves of Chicomoztoc, or is simply saying
> that after crossing from Aztlan island, the Azteca went on from (Aztlan)
> Chicomoztoc to Colhuacan. I prefer the first alternative, but it can go
> either way as written.
>
> Then (p. 73):
>    "And then and there he [Huitzilopochtli, GW] changed the Aztecas' name
> for them. He said to them: Now no longer is your name Azteca: you are
> now Mexitin."
>
> And summing up (p. 75):
>    "In the year Twelve Reed, 1075, when the ancient Mexitin Azteca
> Chichimeca had spent seven years in Quinehuayan Chicomoztoc, they then
> also emerged from Chicomoztoc; hence they are called Chicomoztoca.
> Then they moved hither. ... it was twelve years after they had emerged
> from their home in Aztlan that in the aforesaid Twelve Reed they then
> came away and traveled hither from the aforesaid Quinehuayan
> Chicomoztoc. It is thus that the ancient Azteca Mexitin Chichimeca
> emerged from Aztlan, ..."
>
> Getting back to what Michel wrote the other day: "it is very clear that
> the Aztecs came from Aztlan and that the other eight groups did not".
> The eight groups he is referring to are the ones named in the Codex Aubin
> and the Tira de la Peregrinacion. Among them are the Malinalca. Now let's
> see what Chimalpahin says (p. 181):
>
> The year One Flint, 1064. At this time the Mexitin Azteca Teochichimeca,
> now known as Tenochca, as Tlatelolca, as Malinalca, and as Michhuaque,
> people of Patzcuaro, emerged from their home, Aztlan."
>
> So, as Chimalpahin himself says, the Malinalca were Azteca! He doesn't
> list the others, and the Michhuaque do not appear in all other accounts,
> but the thrust of the passage is clear: The Azteca were not just
> Mecitin/Mexitin/Mexica. They included other peoples. In the case of the
> Michhuaque, I suspect the Nahua-speaking Michhuaque of the Patzcuaro area
> are meant, not the Purhepecha/Tarascans.
>
> I interpret the Aztlan myth cycle as an explanatory device by means of
> which the Mexica were able to order their ethnic universe and landscape.
> This device made it possible for the average Aztec to understand how the
> various distinct Nahua peoples came into being. At the same time, it
> provided a rationale for the Aztec Empire under a Mexica government,
> because it places the Azteca squarely under Mexitin control and guidance.
> According to this model, the Cuexteca and the Michhuaque, two distant
> groups, should by right belong to the Empire because they are no more than
> errant Azteca -- Aztecs gone astray.
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Gordon

> Gordon Whittaker
> Professor
> Linguistische Anthropologie und Altamerikanistik

Sín Fronteras

Aquí estoy yo .... pero ya anda por México mi corazón