Etymology of "Mexico"

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Jul 25 18:00:09 UTC 2009

[My message came back to me with very alien looking characters, for some
reason. Here it goes again; I hope it comes through this time.]

Mariotzin:

Regarding the etymology of Mexico, I threw in my two cents worth a couple of
years ago. I used this toponym as an example in the chapter on phonology in
a text written to teach Nahuatl to Spanish translation to history students.
I don't mean to disqualify other attempts to understand the etymology of
this word, but it's the best I've been able to come up with so far. I'll
just copy and paste it here, simplifying the spelling conventions (using the
Andrews/Karttunen system, with colons instead of macrons to mark the long
vowels; saltillos are represented with the letter 'h'). When I write 'c-qu',
of course I'm just referring to the phoneme /k/, which can be written 'c' or
'qu' in this system; 'qu' is used when the vowel that follows is either 'e'
or 'i', following Spanish orthographic conventions. At the end are the