Etymology of "Mexico"

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Jul 26 15:56:31 UTC 2009

Quoting David Wright <dcwright at prodigy.net.mx>:

> Well, Michael, all we have to do is get all our morphophonological nuts and
> bolts together, put them out in the moonlight, and the phonology doesn't
> look so messy. The glottal stop comes from the regressive dissimilation that
> is described in my post: two /k/ segments come together and the first one
> becomes /?/ (that's a glottal stop, not a question mark). That's what I
> meant by "(c-qu + c-qu > hc-hqu)." It looks cleaner in IPA: (/k/ + /k/ >
> /?k/). The first /k/ is the last segment of the root morpheme of the noun
> xi:c(tli), and the second /k/ is the first segment of the locative suffix
> -co. So far so good? The next step is to shorten the /i:/, since a long
> vowel before a glottal stop in Nahuatl shortens. That's what I meant by "(i:
>> i)". The latter reduction in vowel length is not only expected but
> required. (On both regressive dissimilation and vowel-length reduction
> before a glottal stop, see Andrews, 2003: 25, 29, 35.

The problem with Andrews' explanation, David, is that it's a fallacy
based on circular logic, with no supporting evidence.

He explains the etymology of "Mexico," on page 500, on the basis of
this putative /kk/ > /?k/ shift, basing this pronouncement on an
earlier note in the explanation of Nahuatl phonology. The reader then
goes to that note, on page 35, only to find that he says, well, /kk/ >
/?k/...and we see this in the term... Mexihco. (!)  Bad reasoning. We
need real evidence, many more examples. Andrews doesn't have any. :-)

Now, on page 29 that you refer us to, Andrews simply states that the
vowel before a glottal stop has to be short. Uh...

None of the above serves to explain the etymology of /me:xihco/, as far
as I can see.

Saludos y buenos tardes,

Michael