Camohpaltic

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Nov 2 16:53:22 UTC 2009

Quoting "John Sullivan, Ph.D." <idiez at me.com>:

> Baert,
> 	"Camohtli" is the purple sweet potato, and "camohtic" is the color
> purple in Huastecan Nahuatl.

> 	"Cahmo (ca ahmo)" cannot be used as the nucleus of a noun, and even
> if it could, the "h" in "camohpaltic" is not in the same place as the
>  "h" in "cahmo"
> John

John,

the other night when Susana wrote me asking about "camopaltic" and
asked, "What is the cam-", I thought about camohtli 'sweet potato'. But
I dismissed it, because around here sweet potatoes are orange.
Consequently, I had no idea what the "cam-" could be. Thanks for the
lesson in biodiversity. :-)

Michael