nahuatl colors

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Thu Nov 12 02:25:08 UTC 2009

Piyali Magnus,
	But isnʻt that just the way Nahuatl is? How do you describe something
in Nahuatl? You say that itʻs semblance is the result of having
completed a certain action, i.e., chip:hua>chipa:huac or tetiya>tetic.
And this last one is just an excuse for saying that it resembles some
other noun. So there really arenʻt any adjectival roots in Nahuatl,
except for maybe hueyi.
	"co:z-" isnʻt just for color. [first of all I need to remark that in
Huastecan Nahuatl co:ztic has a long "o"]. "co:ztzin" is a type of
corn, so co:ztic just means that something has come to resembled that
kind of corn (in itʻs yellowness). And yes, there is the intermediate
form co:ztiya, "for something to yellow".
	"co:cihui" means that a fruit is ripening and turning yellow (co:z
[tli]-ihui).
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua language and culture
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Zacatecas Institute of Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Tacuba 152, int. 43
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
Mexico