nahuatl colors

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 03:08:22 UTC 2009

Ken otimosemilwitiwak, Dr. Sullivan

It is true that that is how Nahuatl is. The interesting thing is that
Nahuatl has apparently jettisoned most of the color vocabulary of
proto-Uto-Aztecan to become that way (If I am not mistaken the only Nahuatl
colour word that has a UA cognate is *ista*- which is cognate with PUA
*tosa), and furthermore that that is a very uncommon way for languages to be
cross linguistically. Kay and Berlins study shows that it is by far the most
common in the worlds languages to have terms that are exclusive for color.

Thanks for giving me the yellow corn word - I have always been wondering
whether there wasn't such a word out there - in a way its very beautiful
that nahuatl color terms are derived from food products in this way -
Hueyapan also has ya:wik "color of blue maize (ya:witl)".

Magnus

Piyali Magnus,