Nahuatl poetry

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Wed Nov 25 07:47:48 UTC 2009

What is the meter pattern of classical Nahuatl poetry? Is it syllable-
length-based like classical Latin poetry, or what?

Citlalyani.

One looks in vain for either stress-based or syllable-timed meter in
the large body of Nahuatl poetry/songs. If we knew how they fit
together with the music, it would be a great help, but in the
manuscripts we have the words but not the music.  Many of them are
preceded by drumbeat patterns transcribed with the syllables ti, to,
qui, and co.  For example, several songs are accompanied by the
drumbeat coto coto coti ticoti ticoti.  For others the beat is toco
tico tocoti tocoti tocoti tocoti..  A longer one is tiqui tiqui
tocoto tiqui tiqui tocoto tiqui tiquiti tiqui tiqui tiquiti.
Sometimes one drumbeat pattern is given and then a second one for
“when it turns” or “until it ends.”

In Nahuatl high style, whether prose or verse, elements are paired.
Such a pair of words or phrases is often described in English as a
couplet, and in Nahuatl formal rhetoric, couplets are frequently
embedded within couplets. Whatever is worth saying is worth saying
twice.  And whatever is worth saying twice is worth saying four or
eight times.

This is reflected in the structure of the songs.  The majority of
them consist of four stanzas, each stanza consisting of a pair of
verses.  We know that the verse pairs go together, because each of
the two elements ends with an identical coda.  The coda is made up of
syllables that can be compared to tralala in English songs. The
syllables have no meaning of their own but serve to tell the hearer
that one verse is over and another is about to begin.  A typical coda
in Nahuatl songs is ohuaya ohuaya, but there are longer ones such as
ayie a oo ohuaya and ohui ohui ilili y yao ayyahue o amaha ilili ahua
y yaohuia.

An eight-verse Nahuatl song begins with a stanza consisting of a pair
of verses, each ending in the same coda.  Then comes another stanza,
often with a different shared coda.  Then comes another stanza,
followed by the fourth.  Rather than progressing from a beginning to
a middle to an end, the organization is circular.  In some
repetitions, we find different order of the stanzas, but within the
stanzas, the verse pairs are inseparable.  In a few cases where one
of the verses has been forgotten, a dummy verse has been substituted
ending with the same coda as its partner within the stanza.