Naman tiyolpactoqueh ni Zacatecas

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Wed Aug 18 14:59:33 UTC 2010

Listeros,
	We are very happy today here in Zacatecas because Delfina de la Cruz de la Cruz, one of our teacher/researchers at IDIEZ is getting tenure for the five-hour Nahuatl class she teaches at the Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas (tenure is normally given bit by bit at Mexican universities). She has also been given another class to teach, so she now has 10 hours. In other words, she is on her way to eventually becoming a full-time professor of Nahuatl at the UAZ. Her tenure exam was conducted entirely in Nahuatl.
	At first glance this may not seem worth mentioning. However, we need to consider that there are probably more finger on my hands than the total number of indigenous professors at Mexican universities that actually work in their respective language. So again, this a very good day.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua language and culture
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Zacatecas Institute of Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Tacuba 152, int. 43
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
Mexico