yhcuiliuhtica

t_amaya at megared.net.mx t_amaya at megared.net.mx
Wed Mar 31 13:21:27 UTC 2010

	Hallo Ken Kitayama,

	  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
My first reading is. "on his foot, it is written ...", my seccond: "on
his foot, it is painted"

	Explaining: ca and oc (tica and toc) can be used for a resultant
state, if you want to express the progressive tense you have to say
e.g. tlahcuiliuhtica, quiihcuiliuhtica (he is writting (something), he
is painting it); i.e. we have to use the "thing" or "accusative"
particle.

	For me, according to the context, the verb may mean "to write" or
"to paint".

	Exemple in nahuat of Cuetzalan: in quinequía, choloz ilpihtoc
(ilpihtica) yn axno (the donkey is tied because he wanted to escape)

	You also have the particle tech, whose meaning is precisely "on".
 Pay attention: depending on the context the text could mean: "on his
food, that is painted ..." ; it depends if you read: yn itech yxci,
ihcuiliuhtica, or: in itech ixci ihcuiliuhtica.

	Exemples: Yn itech imetz (foot in Cuetzalan nahuat), ihcuiliuhtica
ce totot; on his foot, it is painted a bird. In itech
imetz-ihcuiliuhtica, motta ce totot (on his painted foot one can see a
bird).

	I hope it helps you

	Nimitztlapaloa.

	Tomas Amaya
 On Sun 28/03/10 6:30 PM , "Ken Kitayama" kk2443 at columbia.edu sent:
  My name is Ken Kitayama; I am a senior at Columbia University
working on a project dealing with corporal images in colonial New
Spain.  I have come across a 17th century document that uses the
phrase "ynitech yxci yhcuiliuhtica".  I have two questions.  First,
from my understanding, the verb "yhcuiliuhtica" as written is in the
present progressive tense, but this interpretation does not make sense
within the rest of the document.  So I was wondering if anyone had
seen the "-ca" prefix used as a verb of a resultant state ("it is
painted/inscribed").  Secondly, I am having trouble interpreting the
meaning of the verb "yhcuiliuhtica" itself.  I would like to know
whether it has to do with the verb "to paint" as in applying pigment
to the surface of the skin, or if it has to do more with an
interpretation like "to inscribe", where the skin is actually broken
and pigment is introduced inside the skin itself.  Thanks for your
help.
 --
 Ken Kitayama
 Columbia College 2010