mohottah

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Thu May 13 03:33:57 UTC 2010

Ben,

   I agree with Michael's and John's first comments, so mine are just additive.

   At the beginning, I (like probably more than a few others) focused
my attention on the fact that the reduplication was operating on the
'o' of the prefix rather than expected initial vowel of the stem.  But
weren't you concerned with the 'h' itself?

   My first lesson on this was forty years ago and it remains my iconic
image of an explanation for some facts about reduplication.  One of my
early native speaker teachers was telling me that 'I hop' was
"nitzicuini" (here I'm taking the liberty of converting the modern
regional form to one that corresponds to the older more generally known
form).  She commented that you could also say "nitzitzicuini" or
"nitzihtzicuini".  I probably wrinkled my brow (unnecessary nowadays)
and asked what the difference was.  She stood up and hopped several
times in place and said, 'that's "nitzitzicuini"' (I take the further
liberty of translating into English.)  And then she hopped around from
one place to another and grinned, 'that's "nitzihtzicuini"'.
   So when I think about the 'h' occurring with reduplication meaning
"distributive" in either time or space (or even people), I can still
see her hopping up and down or doing an imitation of jumping over one
mud puddle and then another.  So the 'h' involves separate events and
the lack of it involves a prolonged event (I know that I'm
over-generalizing, but I also know that everyone has a ready copy of
Andrews.)

   Back to the reduplication of the 'o'...  As I was driving this
morning, I asked my primary consultant for a better way to say what I
thought was going on than what I then explained.  We failed to
formalize it better, so here it is.  People who concern themselves with
theory would very likely find an interesting topic here, but you don't
have to be concerned with theory to blink and say, "I haven't found
anything like that in Nahuatl before!".
   Reduplication applies to the first vowel *of the stem* (and any
preceding consonants), but in the case of <mo-itta>, where the /i/ is
elided by the preceding /o/, there is no first vowel remaining in the
stem to undergo reduplication.  So the /o/ (culprit of the elision)
takes over for its victim (i.e., /i/) and reduplicates.

Iztayohmeh,

Joe