Mezquite

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Thu Dec 1 18:47:28 UTC 2011

Nocnihuan,

   I made these lists of 1) the morphological combinations of sixteenth
century <mizquitl> and 2) its occurrences in the text of the Florentine
Codex (see after ********).

   While I was thinking of how to best explain that Fernando's original
idea wasn't likely to be the right path, Miqueltzin said it very well.
But I certainly approved of Fernando's exploring his idea -- people who
don't explore aren't exercising their machinery.

Joe

*mizquitl ***
  mizquicatl (mizquicatl).  . <mizquitl-ca:tl>. b.12 f.7 p.109|
  mizquicopalli (mizquicopalli).  goma para tinta; a kind of tree.
    <mizquitl-copalli>. 55m-10|
  mizquicua , ni- (ni-mizquicua).  I eat mesquite. <p11-mizquitl-cua:>.
    b.11 f.12 p.121|
  mizquicuahuitl (mizquicuahuitl).  mesquite wood; mesquite tree.
    <mizquitl-cuahuitl .ahd>. b.2 f.3 p.71|
  mizquinechihualeh (mizquinechihualeh).  one who is adorned with
    mesquite symbols. <mizquitl-p53-chi:hua-l1-eh1>. b.1 f.1 p.9|
  mizquipahuaci , ni- (ni-mizquipahuaci).  I cook mesquite in a pot.
    <p11-mizquitl-pa:huaci>. b.11 f.12 p.121|
  mizquiquilcua , ni- (ni-mizquiquilcua).  . <p11-mizquitl-quilitl-
    cua:>. b.11 f.13 p.135|
  mizquiquilitl (mizquiquilitl).  a kind of plant. <mizquitl-quilitl
    +need:plant>. b.11 f.13 p.135|
  mizquiquilpi , ni- (ni-mizquiquilpi).  . <p11-mizquitl-quilitl-pi:>.
    b.11 f.13 p.135|
  mizquiquiltic (mizquiquiltic).  . <mizquitl-quilitl-tic>. b.11 f.12
    p.120|
  mizquitamaloa , ni- (ni-mizquitamaloa).  I make mesquite tamales. <p11-
    mizquitl-tamalli-v05a>. b.11 f.12 p.121|
  mizquitequi , ni- (ni-mizquitequi).  I pick mesquite, I cut mesquite.
    <p11-mizquitl-tequi1>. b.11 f.12 p.121|
  mizquitl (mizquitl).  ; arbol de goma para tinta; mesquite bean;
    mesquite tree; mesquite. <mizquitl +need:plant>. b.11 f.15 p.157|
  mizquitlah (mizquitlah).  mesquite grove; place of mesquite trees.
    <mizquitl-tlah2>. b.3 f.3 p.49|
  mizquiyo , i- (i$mizquiyo).  his mesquite wood. <poss-mizquitl-yo:tl1
    +del.y>. b.2 f.3 p.71|
  quetzalmitzquitl (quetzalmitzquitl).  a kind of tree. <quetzalli-
    mizquitl +need:plant>. b.11 f.17 p.176|
  quetzalmizquitl (quetzalmizquitl).  a kind of tree; a kind of plant.
    <quetzalli-mizquitl +need:tree>. b.11 f.12 p.121|
  tlalmizquitl (tlalmizquitl).  a kind of plant. <tla:lli-mizquitl
    +need:plant>. b.11 f.15 p.157|

*****************************

mizquitl
1.  *imizquiyo*.  michihuauhtzoalli, inic quipepechoaya, in imizquio,
    .  they kept covering [uitzilopochtli's] mesquite wood members
    with fish amaranth dough; . <poss-mizquitl-yo:tl1 +del.y> (b.2 f.3
    c.24 p.71)
2.  *mizquicatl*.  auh in yacacolco, in cuepopan, in apahuazcan, ihuan
    atliceuhyan inic yaticac ayacac, in totecco intequiuh mochiuh in
    xochmilcatl, in cuitlahuacatl, in mizquicatl, in colhuacatl in
    itztapalapanecatl, .  and yacacolco, cuepopan, apauazcan, and
    atliceuhyan, with which went ayacac [and] totecco, became the
    responsibility of the xochimilcans, the cuitlauacans, the
    mizquicans, the men of colhuacan, of itztapalapan. . <mizquitl
    ca:tl> (b.12 f.7 c.37 p.109)
3.  *mizquicopalli*.  tepitztic: iuhqui in mizquicopalli. .  [it
    becomes] hard like gum for ink. . <mizquitl-copalli +need:tree>
    (b.11 f.19 c.7 p.187)
4.  *mizquicuahuitl*.  ca mizquicuahuitl, in tlaxintli, in ixiptla
    mochipa catca, in oquipepechoque: .  his figure was indeed always
    hewn of mesquite wood, which they covered. . <mizquitl-cuahuitl
    .ahd> (b.2 f.3 c.24 p.71)
5.  *mizquicuahuitl*.  mizquicuahuitl, in ixincayo, cuichectic,
    cuichehuac, chachacuachtic, .  the crust of the mesquite tree is
    sooty, smoky, rough. . <mizquitl-cuahuitl .ahd> (b.11 f.12 c.6
    p.120)
6.  *mizquinechihualeh*.  ehcanechihuale, mizquinechihuale, .  he was
    adorned with [spiral] wind and mesquite symbols. . <mizquitl-p53
    chi:hua-l1-eh1> (b.1 f.1 c.5 p.9)
7.  *mizquiquilitl*.  mizquiquilitl, .  mizquiquilitl . <mizquitl
    quilitl +need:plant> (b.11 f.13 c.7 p.135)
8.  *mizquiquiltic*.  xipetziuhqui: in iquillo mizquiquiltic,
    pipitzahuac, matzatzayanqui, cayaztic, cayahuac, caciltic,
    cahcaciltic, caciliuhqui, .  it is smooth; its foliage is green
    like the mesquite, everywhere thin, broken in many sections,
    sparse, thin. . <mizquitl-quilitl-tic> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.120)
9.  *mizquitl*.  auh ihuan in cacahuacuahuitl ipan quicueptia
    mizquitl. .  and also the cacao trees he changed into mesquites. .
    <mizquitl .ahd> (b.3 f.3 c.12 p.33)
10.  *mizquitl*.  nochtli, mizquitl, itlaaquillo, chiancaca, cacomitl,
    cimatl, ayotlatlapantli, chayotli, .  tuna cactus, mesquite beans,
    marchpane, cacomites, cimate roots, squash cut in pieces, chayote,
    . <mizquitl> (b.8 f.4 c.19 p.68)
11.  *mizquitl*.  in quin pehua cenca iztecauhtic mixitl ic
    mixteyayahualoz, anozo octli otlacualcauh iixco ommochichipiniz,
    anozo capolxihuitl, anozo chicalotl imemeyallo, anozo mizquitl
    iyacacelica: auh in ye iquezquiloyoc, tonalchichicaquilitl
    ommochipinia, anozo tlachinoltetzmitl imemeyallo, .  when they
    begin to be considerable, the eyes are to be encircled with
    [powdered] iztecauhtic mixitl [or] perhaps settled maguey wine, or
    cherry-leaf [sap], or chicalotl [sap]; or mesquite gum is applied
    in drops in the eyes; and, after a few days, drops of
    tonalchichicaquilitl or tlachinoltetzmitl [sap]. . <mizquitl>
    (b.10 f.8 c.28 p.143)
12.  *mizquitl*.  mizquitl, .  mesquite . <mizquitl> (b.11 f.12 c.6
    p.120)
13.  *mizquitl*.  inin cuahuitl, in mizquitl, huellacuahuac, oltic,
    tepitztic, chicahuac, .  this tree, the mesquite, is very hard,
    resilient; it is hard, strong. . <mizquitl> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.120)
14.  *mizquitl*.  in iatlapal mizquitl, quiltic, memelactic,
    pipitzahuac, tzatzayanqui, chachayactic, .  the leaves of the
    mesquite tree are herb-green, straight, slender, serrated,
    spreading. . <mizquitl .ahd> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.120)
15.  *mizquitl*.  in iamatlapal huel iuhqui in huei mizquitl. .  its
    leaves are just like those of the uei mizquitl. . <mizquitl
    +need:plant> (b.11 f.15 c.7 p.157)
16.  *mizquitlah*.  auh in ompa onoque, in yaomicque necuametl,
    tzihuactli, mizquitla; .  and where the war dead were, there were
    the magueys, the tziuactli plants, the mesquite groves. .
    <mizquitl-tlah2> (b.3 f.3 c.ap3 p.49)
17.  *mizquitlah*.  tecuantla, tecuanitla, ocelotla, cuitlachtla,
    ocotochtla, coatla, tocatla, tochtla, mazatla, tlacotla, zacatla,
    tzihuactla; necuametla, netzolla, huitztecolla, teonochtla,
    mizquitla, teocotla, .  it is a place of wild beasts; a place of
    wild beasts -- of the ocelot, the cuitlachtli, the bobcat; the
    serpent, the spider, the rabbit, the deer; of stalks, grass,
    prickly shrubs; of the nequametl, the netzollin, the uitztecolotl,
    the teonochtli: of the mesquite, of the pine. . <mizquitl-tlah2>
    (b.11 f.11 c.6 p.106)
18.  *nimizquicua*.  nimizquicua, .  I eat the mesquite. . <p11
    mizquitl-cua:> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.121)
19.  *nimizquipahuaci*.  nimizquipahuaci, .  I cook the mesquite in an
    olla. . <p11-mizquitl-pa:huaci> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.121)
20.  *nimizquiquilcua*.  nimizquiquilcua. .  I eat mizquiquilitl. .
    <p11-mizquitl-quilitl-cua:> (b.11 f.13 c.7 p.135)
21.  *nimizquiquilpi*.  nimizquiquilpi, .  I pick mizquiquilitl. .
    <p11-mizquitl-quilitl-pi:> (b.11 f.13 c.7 p.135)
22.  *nimizquitamaloa*.  nimizquitamaloa, .  I make tamales of the
    mesquite. . <p11-mizquitl-tamalli-v05a> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.121)
23.  *nimizquitequi*.  nimizquitequi, .  I pick the mesquite. . <p11
    mizquitl-tequi1> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.121)
24.  *quetzalmitzquitl*.  quetzalmitzquitl: .  quetzalmizquitl .
    <quetzalli-mizquitl +need:plant> (b.11 f.17 c.7 p.176)
25.  *quetzalmizquitl*.  quetzalmizquitl: zan no iuhqui, zan no
    yehhuatl. .  quetzalmizquitl is the same as this [mesquite]. .
    <quetzalli-mizquitl +need:tree> (b.11 f.12 c.6 p.121)
26.  *quetzalmizquitl*.  mocenteci, zan aquitzin in ixiuhyo
    quetzalmizquitl: xiuhiyac, ihuan inelhuayo xaltomatl, ihuan
    inelhuayo coztomatl. .  ground together are a very little of the
    tips of quetzalmizquitl foliage and the root of the tomato and the
    root of the yellow tomato. . <quetzalli-mizquitl +need:plant>
    (b.11 f.17 c.7 p.176)
27.  *quetzalmizquitl*.  auh in yehhuatl in, in etlamanixti huel miz,
    zan mixcahuiz: anozo zan ipan calacoaz temazcalco, aocmo quimatiz
    inic totonqui temazcalli. auh in ihcuac ohualquiz temazcalco,
    anozo oachiton concua: oc no achi coniz in quetzalmizquitl. .  and
    this can be drunk in all of three ways: this alone is used; or
    just as one is to enter the sweat bath -- no longer will he feel
    the heat of the sweat bath, and when he has left the sweat bath,
    or has eaten a little, he is still to drink a little of the
    quetzalmizquitl. . <quetzalli-mizquitl +need:plant> (b.11 f.17 c.7
    p.177)
28.  *quetzalmizquitl*.  in xaltomatl, in coztomatl; ye omito in
    quenami in quetzalmizquitl. .  the characteristics of the tomato,
    of the yellow tomato, of the quetzalmizquitl have already been
    told. . <quetzalli-mizquitl +need:plant> (b.11 f.17 c.7 p.177)
29.  *tlalmizquitl*.  tlalmizquitl, .  tlalmizquitl . <tla:lli