Ixtlahuac

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 10 18:17:34 UTC 2011

Quoting Christa Muths <christa.muths at gmail.com>:

> Hola,
>
> does anyone know the translation of the word* Ixtlahuac*??
>
> I tried all available dictionaries but to no avail. So I thought I'll try
> the list.
>
> Saludos
>
> Christa

Christa:

This term appears to be from the verb ixtla:hua 'to pay off a debt' or
'to have a debt paid'. The verb is normally reflexive or transitive, so
the lack of a pronominal prefix here is a little strange. But it
appears to the singular third-person past tense of that verb, which
would also give you a term with an adjectival meaning in English, 'paid
off', akin, say, to catza:huac 'dirty' or mela:huac 'straight'.