Coda /l/

Wm Annis wm.annis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:59:10 UTC 2011

Now that the English translation/adaptation of Launey's "Introduction
to Classical Nahuatl" has finally reached my hands, I feel a bit
more confident to dive in.  (Lockhart's "Nahuatl as Written" has many
merits, but is exasperating to those few of us who are more, ahh,
fastidious about pronunciation.)

One thing I've noticed across different sources is slightly
conflicting information about how to pronounce /l/ at the end of
syllables.  Launey says it's simply devoiced, but whoever edits
Wikipedia articles on Aztec topics tends to mark it as a voiceless
lateral fricative [ł].  The ms. spelling "lh" could reasonably be
interpreted as either.  Is there even solid evidence to decide this?

I found a little discussion of this in the archives, but nothing very
decisive.

--
William S. Annis
www.aoidoi.org • www.scholiastae.org