ihcequi doing it=?windows-1252?Q?=92s_?=applicative thing

SASAKI Mitsuya hawatari21centuries at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 01:06:24 UTC 2011

Piyali Jonathan,

The example of "ihcequi" John presented from FC11 is used as an
intransitive, though it looks like an anticausative verb, i.e. "to be
toasted".
Here "ihcequi" is juxtaposed with "mone:loa" (to be mixed) and "moteci"
(to be ground). "Ihcequi" here is undoubtedly intransitive, but its
subject seems to be the thing roasted, but not the one who roast it.

The original text is:

  auh injc muchichioa in icequi, yoan moneloa chia~tzotzol: nima~
moteci: conj in cocoxquj.
(A&D's Translation: "And it is prepared thus: when roasted and mixed
with wrinkled _chia_, then  it is ground. The sick one drinks it [in an
infusion]") (FC 11, A&D p. 142)

Mitsuya SASAKI
The Department of Linguistics, the University of Tokyo
ll116003 at mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp