One word or two??

IDIEZ idiez at me.com
Mon Jul 16 14:36:23 UTC 2012

Piyali notequixpoyohuan,
	Normally coztic would be the free form and coztica- would be the combining form. However, this is called into question by Joe's examples. If we say that the form of the fourth example is coztic teocuitlahuah, it would mean that the person is yellow, not the imbedded noun of the -huah agentive.
	There are other instances where adjective/adverbs ending in -c are attached to a noun or verb root without first going back to the older -ca form. One, along the same line here, is chichiltictepozquixtiloyan, incorrectly translated in Molina or SahagĂșn (Joe can clarify this) as copper miner (it is also possibly incorrectly separated as  chichiltic tepozquixtiloyan, in the original text; again Joe can chime in here). It should be copper mine, and obviously, if we divide it into chichiltic tepozquixtiloyan, it would mean a red iron-mine instead of the preferred red-iron mine.
	There are examples with more commonly used words. I just can`t think of any right now.
John