One word or two??

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Mon Jul 16 22:25:58 UTC 2012

Michael, John, ihuan occequi nocnihuan,

   My problem originated because I agreed with Michael's intuition that
adjectives in -tic, which originate in verbs and "dizque" form
adjectives with the preterite -c, can hardly compound with the
following word.  When I read John's consideration of "compound vs.
phrase", I decided to consider the issue more at length.

   In the meantime, I wanted to call attention to the willingness of
Nahuatl to creep across word-formation lines and surprise us.  I'll
make a few comments on some of the examples below, but let the majority
of them speak for themselves.
The examples are from Molina and the Florentine.  The "=" is used as a
separator before the prefix and the preterite.  The regularized form is
given first and the original document form is enclosed in parentheses.

Joe

***-ni is a verbal prefix, but crosses the line into "noundom".
   Note its willingness to "verb" in the same way that basic nouns do.

  aahuieniti (aahuieniti).  she becomes a harlot.  b.4 f.3 p.25|

  ahuiyaniti =n=onahuianitic (ahuianiti =n=onahuianitic).  ser puta.
     71m2-2|

  cuicuicaniti (cuicuicaniti).  he becomes a singer.  b.4 f.1 p.7|

**
***-ni forms -meh plural like a noun.

  ahuiyanimeh (ahuiyanimeh).  harlots; pleasure girls.  b.10 f.5 p.89|

  altianimeh , te- (te$altianimeh).  bathers of slaves; bathers; slave
    bathers; ceremonial bather; those who bathe slaves.  b.9 f.4 p.47|

  ananimeh , te- (te$ananimeh).  escorts.  b.9 f.5 p.61|

**
***-ni takes a diminutive suffix like a noun.

  cuicuicaniton (cuicuicanito).  grillo especie de cigarra; grillo;
    especie de cigarra (idem).  55m-10|

  ehuatlepitzaloniton (ehuatlepitzalonito).  fuelles peque¤as; fuelles
    peque¤as de organo peque¤o.  55m-10|

  machtianiton =te (temachtianiton).  maestro peque¤o.  55m-13|

  matepoztlaximaloniton (matepoztlaximalonito).  azuela peque¤a.  55m-001|

  pohpohualoniton =tla (tlapohpohualonito).  escoba peque¤a o escobajo. 55m-8|

  tamachihualoniton =tla (tlatamachihualonito).  libreta; medida
    peque¤a.  71m1-141|

  tepozchihchiquillateconiton (tepozchihchiquillateconiton).  sierra
    peque¤a assi  (assi is sierra de hierro para asserrar).
    55m-18|

  tepozteihxilihuaniton (tepozteihxilihuaniton).  pu¤al peque¤o.
     55m-16|

  tepoztlacohualoniton (tepoztlacohualonito).  marauedi; o blanca.
     55m-13|

  tepoztlateconiton (tepoztlateconiton).  segureja, peque¤a segur.
     71m1-191|

  tepoztlateconiton (tepoztlateconito).  hachuela para cortar.  71m2-18|

  tetzotzonaloniton =tla (tlatetzotzonaloniton).  mazo peque¤o.  55m-12|

  tlahtoaniton (tlahtoaniton).  rey peque¤o.  55m-17|

  tlapoloniton =tla (tlatlapolonito).  llaue peque¤a.  71m2-24|

  tlazololololoniton (tlazololololonito).  rastro peque¤o assi  (assi is
    rastro para rastrar paja).  71m2-20|

***-ni takes what used to be called a postposition (e.g., -tlah)

  tecuanitlah (tecuanitlah).  place of wild beasts.  b.11 f.25 p.256|

  tecuantlah (tecuantlah).  place of wild beasts.  b.10 f.12 p.188|

***-ni forms noun-noun compounds

  tecuannacatl (tecuannacatl).  wild beast flesh.
    b.11 f.1 p.4|

  tecuannahuale (tecuannahuale).  one is disguised as a wild beast.
b.4 f.5 p.42|

  tecuantepecatl (tecuantepecatl).  person from Tecuantepec.  b.9 f.1 p.3|

  tecuantlacualtin (tecuantlacualtin).  food for wild beasts.  b.5 f.1 p.154|

***-ni "verbs" like a noun

  tecuantilia =nino (tecuantilia =nino).  brauear assi  (assi is braua
    cosa que muerde).  55m-2|

*** from this point on, the arrangement is incomplete

  tecuantlalia , mo- (mo-tecuantlalia).  he becomes brave.  b.4 f.5 p.42|

  tecuantocatl (tecuantocatl).  ara¤a negra ponzo¤osa; ara¤a negra y
    ponzo¤osa; ara¤a ponza¤osa.  55m-1|

  tecuantonaleh (tecuantonaleh).  one who has the day sign of a wild
    beast.  b.4 f.1 p.6|

  tecuantonalli (tecuantonalli).  day sign of wild beasts; days of wild
    beasts; evil day sign.  b.4 f.1 p.5|

  tecuantonalpan (tecuantonalpan).  on an evil day sign.  b.6 f.16 p.198|

  tecuanyo (tecuanyo).  brave; fierce; having wild beasts; having man-
    eating animals.  b.10 f.3 p.50|

  tecuanyohtoc (tecuanyohtoc).  .  b.4 f.7 p.66|

  tecuanyotihcac (tecuanyotihcac).  it is full of wild beasts.  b.11
    f.26 p.267|

  tecuanyotitoc , mo- (mo$tecuanyotitoc).  .  b.4 f.7 p.66|

  tecuayoti , mo- (mo$tecuayoti).  .  b.6 f.2 p.15|

  tecuayoti , xic- (xic-tecuayoti).  make it stern.  b.6 f.5 p.53|

  tecuayoti , ximo- (ximo-tecuayoti).  be stern.  b.6 f.5 p.53|

  tecuayotili , xicmo- (xicmo-tecuayotili).  .  b.6 f.2 p.24|

  tecuayotl (tecuayotl).  braueza, ferocidad, o crueldad de fieras
    brauas.  71m2-18|