tlaye:ctli, tlate:ntli

IDIEZ idiez at me.com
Wed Mar 7 12:54:48 UTC 2012

Piyali notequixpoyohuan,
	In Classical we have "tlate:ntli" with two definitions: 1. cosa echada (which comes from te:ma) and 2. cuff (of a shirt of pair of pants) (from te:ntli). They are obviously two different words. In Modern Huastecan Nahuatl, for "tlate:ntli" we have 1. "at the side of the road where the forest begins" and 2. "a sharp knife or machete." Both of these come from "te:ntli". I'm interested in the "tlate:ntli" that comes from "te:ntli." What is the "tla-" doing?
	In Modern Huastecan Nahuatl we have "tlaye:ctli," meaning "something that no longer has little specks of things (basuritas) mixed in with it." It looks like this is built on a noun, "ye:ctli", in the same way that "tlate:ntli" is. Again, what is the "tla-" doing.
	And as an aside and given our little recent discussion about the variantion between n and c, I wonder if there might not be a relation between tequi and te:ntli. I know there is a difference in vowel length, due to....., but the relation between cutting and edge provokes thought.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua Language and Culture
Zacatecas Institute for Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
+52 (492) 925-3425 (office)
+52 1 (492) 103-0195 (mobile)
idiez at me.com