ozcoa, ozcohua, izcoa, izcohua

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 10 03:33:32 UTC 2013

John,

   Unless I'm mistaken, the -ohua forms all come from the Florentine;
Molina doesn't have -ohua.

   Of course, that doesn't have any weight.  What does weigh is the
shape of the forms that our sources have.  On the issue of what the
initial vowel of the stem is, Mol-1 S-N has "neozcoliztli", giving us
the information that the 'o' is not part of the object prefix; the
Florentine, Book 11, has 'quimozcooa' (with a 'quim-' prefix), "they
warm them", corroborating the "o- initial" verb stem hypothesis.

   The 'oa' or 'ohua' question is resolved by a citation in M-2 N-S:
the preterit of "ninozcoa' is 'oninozco[h]', not 'oninozcouh' (the
final 'h' of 'oninozcoh') added here as a favor to fray Alonso).

   Oh, the issue of "oa" vs. "ohua" reminds me that I haven't
regularized the "primary" or "display" spelling for these particular
entries yet.  Of course, the database will maintain a double
representation: display (regularized) vs. original.

Cheers,

Joe