stuck on a phrase

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 21 17:17:58 UTC 2013

Hey Ben,

   When I saw the sequence "ytlan quintlayhiyohuiltizque", I thought it
was likely to be an "out-rigger" construction, like "moca nihuetzca" (I
laugh at you), where (from the point of view of English) an argument of
the verb is sent out with a relational noun (or postposition).  But the
first reason to reject that possibility is that the following verb
already has an object (quin-).

   But then I realized that "tlequiquiztli ytleyo" is probably a phrase
('the fireness of the gun'), so "ytlan" would be related to that whole phrase
('next to [or close to] the fireness of the gun).  I thought that the
verb would mean 'will make them suffer', but that doesn't compute well,
since its subject is plural, not singular.

   That's the extent of my progress...

Joe

p.s.  I think that I might benefit from more context.