stuck on a phrase

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 20 20:16:49 UTC 2013

Ben,

I typically ascribe the old adage that "everything you know is wrong,"
but I'm pretty confident that in this case this is not a difrasimo. :-)
It's like saying "nocal i(i)xco," motlahtol ipampa. So, the itlan
refers to the itleyo. See?

tlequiquiztli, yes, means, literally a 'fire-conch," or "gun". I'm not
aware of any other meaning besides 'gun'.

Since the friars' people had guns, and the Indians knew about them, it
seems that guns are exactly the nastiness they are referring to. I
could imagine that the memory of gun-toting Spaniards might evoke a
sense of the demonic.

I don't know tlequiquiztlalli, but that sound like 'gun powder' to me.

ihiyohuiliztli is of course 'misery', and I think your interpretation
of that verb is sound.

Michael