stuck on a phrase

Ben Leeming bleeming at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 18:30:01 UTC 2013

Joe (and Magnus and Michael): thank you for your insights.  I think I've
got it now: "The fire of the arquebus is very smelly. They will make them
suffer by/in it" (that's Magnus' wording).  What I'm taking away from this
is that you have to think very carefully about what/who those possessive
prefixes refer to.  The "ytleyo" wasn't that difficult - I've seen examples
such as those you sent - but it was the "ytlan" and my need to work it
literally into my translation that was hanging me up.

These exchanges are poor substitutes for the kind of in-person work we do
when we are all in one room, but in the interim it sure is great to engage
with other nahuatlahtos in wrestling with these things.

Thanks again,

Ben

--
Ben Leeming