stuck on a phrase

Jonathan Amith jdanahuatl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 20:45:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am not sure of the translation but part/whole relations are expressed
through -yo possession. Thus for example if a chip of metal flies off a
crowbar one might say o:ki:s i:teposyo. Or if a chair is missing its cloth
cover, xkipia (=a:mo kipia) i:tlake:nyo. This part/whole use does not
extend to body parts used metaphorically (e.g., kwawitl i:ma:  'the branch
of a tree').

I would assume that the most likely syntax would be a couplet with itleyo,
itlan being possessed by tlequiquiztli perhaps the latter referring to its
bullet. The agent of tlaihiyohuiltia but the verb as I know it makes 'to
cause to suffer' (tlahyowi:ltia). Te:mamauhtih would be translated as
'frightening'.

Jonathan