omichicahuaztli and the miccacuicatl

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Fri Jul 18 03:05:27 UTC 2014

Dear Susana,

   I thought that the actual usage of "micca-" and "-chicahuaztli"
might be helpful.  The material quoted here is from Dibble and
Anderson's edition of the Florentine Codex.  The original extremely
variable spelling has been regularized a la Andrews. "b." numbers refer
to Book and "p.", of course, to page, and "f." to my own file structure.

Joe

immiccahuan**

1. zatepan cecentetl quintlatlaliliaya, quimmamanilia in *immiccahuan*,
     in oncan totoctoque:.
      then they set them in place, they laid them as offerings
     for each of their dead, there where they each lay buried.
     (b.2 f.10 p.166).

micca**

2. auh in yehhuatl *micca* cihuatl ye no cempoalxihuitl oce inen
     ihuan oc ce quichiuh iconeuh oquichtli:.
      and this woman who had died lived another twenty-one years,
     and once more bore a son. (b.8 f.1 p.3).

miccaahuexotl**

3. huexotl, ahuexotl, *miccaahuexotl*.
      willow (b.11 f.11 p.110).

miccahua**

4. auh izcatqui ic quitlatlauhtiaya in *miccahua*..
      and here is that with which they entreated the mourner:
     (b.3 f.3 p.42).

miccahuati**

5. chocatinemi, tehcoyouhtinemi, iuhquin *miccahuati*, quinchoquilia
     in otlacotique, in ommicque..
      he went weeping, he went howling like one bereaved; he
     wept for those who had suffered, who had died. (b.2 f.1
     p.55).

6. auh inic quitoca, cenca quimahuiztilia, omilhuitl, eilhuitl
     in *miccahuati*, mitotia, cuica:.
      and when they buried him, they paid him great honor; two
     days, three days, they mourned; there was dancing, there
     was singing. (b.10 f.10 p.174).

miccahuatini**

7. in cualli teezyo, *miccahuatini*, tlamacehuani, tlatlatlauhtiani,
     tlateomatini, teoyo, neconi, temoloni, ilnamiconi..
      the good one of noble lineage [is] a mourner for the dead,
     a doer of penances, a gracious speaker; devout, godly, desirable,
     wanted, memorable. likely that it is related to praying
     (b.10 f.2 p.22).

miccahuatizque**

8. ic quitemachitia, inic nahuilhuitl ilnamicoz, *miccahuatizque*
     in ichantlaca,.
      thus they made it known that during four days there would
     be remembrances; his household would mourn. (b.4 f.7 p.67).

miccamonnantli**

9. monnantli, *miccamonnantli*,.
      mother-in-law -- mother-in-law of a deceased person (b.10
     f.1 p.7).

miccamontatli**

10. montatli *miccamontatli*.
      father-in-law --- father-in-law of a deceased person (b.10
     f.1 p.7).

miccanacatl**

11. ihuan itoca in *miccanacatl* in opalan, in otlaltic..
      and it is the name of the body of the dead which has decayed,
     which has become dust. (b.11 f.24 p.251).

miccatlalli**

12. *miccatlalli*:.
      miccatlalli (b.11 f.24 p.251).

miccatzintli**

13. tenitzintli *miccatzintli*,.
      [he is] stupid, torpid. (b.10 f.2 p.25).

14. in amo cualli zoquichiuhqui, xolopitli, nextecuili, *miccatzintli*.
      the bad potter [is] silly, stupid, torpid. (b.10 f.3 p.42).

15. in ahuiyani, ca cihuatlahueliloc, inacayo ic mahuiltiani,
     nacanamacac, nanacanamacac, ichpochtlahueliloc, ilamatlahueliloc,
     tlahuanqui, xocomicqui, tequixocomicqui, tequitlahuanqui,
     iellelacic, tlacamicqui, xochimicqui, tlaaltilli, teomicqui,
     teopoliuhqui, *miccatzintli*,.
      the carnal woman is an evil woman who finds pleasure in
     her body; who sells her body -- repeatedly sells her body;
     an evil young woman [or] an evil old woman, besotted, drunk
     -- very drunk, much besotted; dejected, perverse; [like]
     a sacrificial victim, a bathed slave, a captive; full of
     affliction, mortal. (b.10 f.3 p.55).

miccatzontecomayo**

16. niman imac contequilia, in itlema, no *miccatzontecomayo*,
     inic tlacuilolli, amacuitlapile..
      they placed in his hand his incense ladle, also painted
     with the skulls of the dead, and with paper pendants [on
     the handle]. (b.8 f.4 p.62).

miccauh**

17. mazo yehhua, momitzmahuilti in macehualli: auh mazo mitztlacaahuilo
     in *miccauh*, in machcauh: in axcan ca otiteot,.
      "although the common folk have gladdened thee, and although
     thy younger brother, thy older brother have put their trust
     in thee, now thou art deified." (b.6 f.5 p.52).

18. oc ye centlamantli, amo zan *miccauh*, amo zan machcauh:
     in iyollo, amo zan no iuhquin moyollo,.
      still another thing: is not the heart of thy younger brother,
     of thy older brother the same as thy heart? (b.6 f.6 p.73).

miccauhtzin**

19. a ca nechhualmihuali, onechhualtopeuh in tlacatl in *miccauhtzin*,
     in tlatoani in n: in nachca in tlapializtli mitzommochihuililia
     in n:.
      verily the lord, thy younger brother, the ruler n., who
     out there serveth as guard for thee in [the city of] n.,
     sent me, dispatched me here. (b.6 f.15 p.189).

20. ca commitalhuia. tla xoyatiuh: xichualmottili in tlacatl,
     in *miccauhtzin*: in tlacoti, in tequiti:.
      "he said: 'o, see the lord my younger brother who serveth,
     who governeth.'" (b.6 f.15 p.189).

miccaxochitl**

21. cequi itoca *miccaxochitl*; ihuan itoca: tlahuancaxochitl,.
      some are called miccaxochitl, and some are called tlauancaxochitl.
     (b.11 f.20 p.205).

miccaxoxocoyoli**

22. *miccaxoxocoyoli*:.
      miccaxoxocoyoli (b.11 f.14 p.138).

23. chamahuac iuhquin *miccaxoxocoyoli*, yece huelic, ahuiac,
     cualli,.
      it is thick like the miccaxoxocoyoli; however, it is tasty,
     savory, good. (b.11 f.14 p.139).

miccaxoxoyoli**

24. quinamaca eloquilitl, mozoquilitl, tzitziquilitl, tepicquilitl,
     mahtzalquilitl, tzayanalquilitl, ahuexocaquilitl, chilquilitl,
     huauhquilitl, huauhquiltzontli, xoxocoyoli, xoxocoyolpapatla,
     xoxocoyolhuihuilan, cuauhxoxocoyoli, *miccaxoxoyoli*, xoxocoyolcuecuepo
     ayauhtona, tacanalquilitl, mexixi, popoyauhquilitl, atzihuequilitl,
     calahuauhquilitl, itzmiquilitl.
      she sells eloquilitl, mo‡oquilitl, tzitziquilitl, tepicquilitl,
     matzalquilitl, tzayanalquilitl, auexocaquilitl, chilquilitl,
     amaranth greens, amaranth heads, several varieties of sorrel,
     ayauhtonan, tacanalquilitl, watercress, popoyauhquilitl,
     atziuequilitl, calauauhquilitl, a species of purslane. miccaxoxocoyoli; D

miccazayoli**

25. *miccazayoli*:.
      micca‡ayolin (b.11 f.10 p.101).

26. inic mitoa *miccazayoli* quil intonal in tomiccahuan:.
      it is called micca‡ayolin because it is said it is the
     lot of corpses. (b.11 f.11 p.101).

momiccaaltia**

27. ic mitoa, *momiccaaltia* inic compopoloa, coniilcahua intlaocol:.
      thus it was said, the deceased was bathed; and thereby
     they destroyed and banished their grief. (b.4 f.7 p.67).

momiccanenequia**

28. auh in cequintin intlan momaquixtique, intlan cacalacque
     in ohuelmicque, zan *momiccanenequia*,.
      and some escaped [the spaniards] among [the dead]; they
     got in among those really dead, only by feigning to be dead.
     (b.12 f.4 p.56).

momiccatlaza**

29. zan niman yolmiqui, zotlahua, chapantihuetzi, *momiccatlaza*:
     quinequi, macuelyeh ihiyotl onquiza, macuelyeh conihiyohui,
     macuelyeh ompolihui, macuelyeh commotlaxili, in imiquiztequiuh..
      at once he faltered, he fainted, he fell on the surface,
     he threw himself down as if dead, he wished that breath
     might end, that he might endure it, that he might perish,
     that he might cast off the burden of death. (b.2 f.1 p.53).

momiccatlazani**

30. in cualli cuachi micalini milacatzoani, *momiccatlazani*
     tlacemoliniani, teochpahuazhuiani.
      the good shorn one [is] a skirmisher, an aggressor, who
     hurls himself to his death; a vanquisher, a sweeper away
     [of the foe]. (b.10 f.2 p.23).

moxochimiccanenequi**

31. tlaaltilnemi, *moxochimiccanenequi*, aquetztinemi, tlaxocotinemi
     mihuintitinemi momixihuitinemi, monanacahuitinemi,.
      she lives like a bathed slave, acts like a sacrificial
     victim; she goes about with her head high -- rude, drunk,
     shameless -- eating mushrooms. (b.10 f.3 p.55).

nomamiccatzin**

32. ic nichoca ic nitlaocoya ic ninentlamati in niquilnamiqui
     ac ye in *nomamiccatzin*, ac ye in notenhuacauh..
      thus I weep, I am saddened, I am discontent when I reflect
     upon which one is my sluggard, which one my incoherent one.
     (b.6 f.7 p.87).

omimicca**

33. in iuhqui *omimicca* cocoliztica: oncan acohuetzi, chicahua:.
      those who are as if faint with sickness are there calmed,
     strengthened. (b.11 f.19 p.191).

ommomiccatlazaya**

34. ihuan miequintin in ommotlacomayahuia yaoc *ommomiccatlazaya*,
     inca ommomotlaya in inyaohuan,.
      and many withdrew themselves as enslaved, cast themselves
     to their deaths in war, threw themselves against their foes.
     (b.3 f.1 p.7).

tlacamiccacihuatl**

35. poxacuatl, poxacuatlacectli, poxacuacihuatl, xochicihuatl,
     *tlacamiccacihuatl* tlacamicqui.
      [she is] a sleepy-head, a dried-out sleepy-head, an oversleeping
     woman; a pervert, a perverted woman, perverse. (b.10 f.3
     p.50).

tlacamiccapopol**

36. f. ointlahueliltic, in yehhuanti, in *tlacamiccapopol*, in
     quimoteotique, in tetlaxintli, in cuahuitl tlaxintli, in
     teixiptla, in tepatillo: in teocuitlatl, in anozo tepoztli,
     ic tlachiuhtli: in anozo ye oquimoteotique, in manenemi,
     in patlantinemi, in atlan nemi: in anozo imixiptlahuan,
     in quinxinque, in cuauhxinque, in tetzotzonque, in anozo
     in teocuitlapitzque, oquipitzque..
      f. unhappy are they, the accursed dead who worshipped as
     gods carvings of stone, carvings of wood, representations,
     images, things made of gold or of copper, or who indeed
     worshipped as gods four-footed animals, creatures which
     fly, those which live in the waters, or their representations
     which carpenters or lapidaries carved, or metal-workers
     molded. (b.1 f.3 p.57).

tlacamiccati**

37. ahuilquiza, ahuilhuehueti, teopilti xohxoloti, *tlacamiccati*..
      he is reviled; he becomes decrepit, senile, feeble, perverted.
     (b.10 f.2 p.37).

tomicca**

38. ca tilamatque in tontonotza, ca anquimotztiliticate in ixquich
     *tomicca* ticihuatzitzinti, in ipan tititzin:.
      for we are the old women who consult among ourselves; you
     are seeing all of the mortality among us women in our wombs.
     (b.6 f.13 p.158).

39. cuix ah *tomicca* in ticihuatzitzinti ca toyaoyouh: ca oncan
     miquiztequiti in cihuacoatl, in quilaztli in tonantzin..
      certainly it is our mortality, we who are women, for it
     is our battle, for at this time our mother, ciuacoatl, quilaztli
     exacteth the tribute of death. (b.6 f.15 p.180).

tomiccahuan**

40. inic mitoa miccazayoli quil intonal in *tomiccahuan*:.
      it is called micca‡ayolin because it is said it is the
     lot of corpses. (b.11 f.11 p.101).

topilmiccayo**

41. zan cuel itla mopan huallaz, *topilmiccayo* techmaitiliz
     in toteucyo:.
      soon something will befall thee; our lord will bring about
     for us the death of our child. (b.6 f.12 p.142).

xocomiccayotl**

42. pipillo, coconeyo, ihuincayotl, *xocomiccayotl*:.
      babyishness, childishness, besottedness, drunkenness (b.6
     f.20 p.250).

43. in ihcuac aca huel itla quichihua, anozo huellatoa: amo quitoaya
     in aquin. in cenca huel onoconchiuh, anozo huel onitlato:
     zan quitoa. onoconchiuh, anozo onoconito in pipillotl, in
     coconeyotl, in ihuincayotl, *xocomiccayotl*: anozo in chocholocayotl,
     in aaccayotl:.
      when one did something well or spoke well, he did not say:
     "I did it very well," or, "I spoke well"; he just said:
     "I have performed, or I have said a thing of babyishness,
     of childishness, of besottedness, of drunkenness; or of
     folly, of imperfection. (b.6 f.20 p.250).

ayauhchicahuaztica**

1. *ayauhchicahuaztica*,.
      with mist-bringing rattles (b.2 f.14 p.225).

2. *ayauhchicahuaztica*,.
      with mist-bringing rattles (b.2 f.14 p.225).

ayauhchicahuaztli**

3. ihuan ce cuacuilli conquechpanoa, *ayauhchicahuaztli*:.
      and an old priest bore upon his shoulders the mist rattle
     board. (b.2 f.4 p.85).

ayochicahuaze**

4. *ayochicahuaze*, cacalaca;.
      she carried the mist rattle-board, which she sounded. (b.1
     f.1 p.22).

ayochicahuaztli**

5. quiquechpanotiuh, *ayochicahuaztli*, no itoca nahualcuahuitl,.
      he went bearing on his shoulders the mist rattle board,
     also called the sorcerer's staff. (b.2 f.3 p.81).

6. auh in ocontepeuh, niman commaca in *ayochicahuaztli*,.
      and when he had scattered it, then they gave him the mist
     rattle board. (b.2 f.4 p.87).

7. ce tlacatl quiquechpanoa, in *ayochicahuaztli*, excan in cacalaca:.
      a man carried the mist rattle board upon his shoulders;
     it rattled in three places. (b.2 f.5 p.105).

cayochicahuaz**

8. *cayochicahuaz* ilhuitinemi, quicuicatia in calpoleque, icuicacahuan..
      with the mist rattle-board they went speaking; the elders
     of the calpulli, her singers, sang for her. (b.1 f.1 p.22).

chicahuaz**

9. ic *chicahuaz* in monacayo,.
      with it thy body will gain strength. (b.3 f.2 p.18).

chicahuazotiuh**

10. ihuan ichicahuaz yetiuh, *chicahuazotiuh*,.
      and his rattle stick went with him; he went rattling his
     rattle stick. (b.2 f.1 p.46).

chicahuaztica**

11. auh intla ceme anoya, in tezaloani, quinhuihuitequi in xipeme,
     in *chicahuaztica*,.
      and if some of the interceptors were taken, the xipeme
     beat them repeatedly with the rattle sticks. (b.2 f.1 p.50).

12. *chicahuaztica*, motlaquechizca..
      on rattle stick upraised (b.2 f.14 p.236).

13. *chicahuaztica* motlaquechizca..
      on rattle stick upraised (b.2 f.14 p.236).

chicahuaztli**

14. *chicahuaztli* concacalachiliaya.
      they shook the rattle-boards for him. (b.1 f.2 p.37).

15. *chicahuaztli* in imac icac..
      his rattle stick was in his hand. (b.1 f.2 p.40).

16. quitilquetztiuh in *chicahuaztli*, chachalaca, cacalaca..
      he went planting the rattle stick forcefully [on the ground];
     it rattled; it jingled. (b.2 f.1 p.46).

17. ixpan quihualtilquetza in *chicahuaztli*, quicacalatza: ihuan
     iyauhtli ic quihualnamiqui, ihuicpa quihualchayahua..
      before her he set up the rattle board; he rattled it, and
     with yauhtli went forth to receive her, and scattered it
     toward her. (b.2 f.5 p.105).

18. *chicahuaztli* motlaquechizca..
      like rattle stick upraised (b.2 f.14 p.236).

ichicahuaz**

19. ihuan *ichicahuaz* yetiuh, chicahuazotiuh,.
      and his rattle stick went with him; he went rattling his
     rattle stick. (b.2 f.1 p.46).

20. motlaloa mochimalcaltitiuh, quicacalatztiuh *ichicahuaz*.
      he ran; he went sheltering himself under his shield; he
     went rattling his rattle board. (b.2 f.2 p.59).

21. in ichimal ihuan in *ichicahuaz* chichiltic,.
      her shield and her rattle stick were chili-red. (b.2 f.5
     p.103).

22. *ichicahuaz* yetiuh. anozo itzpapalotl. anozo quetzalcomitl
     teocuitlayo in quimama.
      he had his rattle stick with him, or the obsidian butterfly
     or quetzal feather cup [device] set with gold, which he
     carried upon his back. (b.8 f.5 p.84).

23. ihuan *ichicahuaz* cacalacaya, imayauhcampa quitzitzquiaya:
     in ihcuac tlalpan quitilquetza cacalaca,.
      and his rattle stick rattled as he grasped it in his right
     hand; when he thrust it in the ground it rattled. (b.9 f.5
     p.69).

24. auh inic tetlattitiaya, mitotiaya, momamamantinemi in ichimal:
     ihuan quitilquetztinemi in *ichicahuaz*..
      and thus [the impersonator] exhibited [the devices]: he
     danced, he went brandishing his shield; and he went thrusting
     his rattle board into the ground. (b.9 f.5 p.70).

inchicahuaztopil**

25. inchimal immaccuauh yetiuh *inchicahuaztopil*..
      they had their shields, their war clubs, and their rattle
     sticks. (b.8 f.5 p.85).

iyauhchicahuaztli**

26. ma moloni *iyauhchicahuaztli* ma huihuixahui in ayachcuahuitl:.
      may mist rattle boards billow; may cloud rattle boards
     shake. (b.6 f.4 p.39).

omichicahuaztli**

27. *omichicahuaztli*..
      the bone rasp. (b.6 f.19 p.239).

quichicahuazque**

28. quinnahuatiaya in cuicanime: inic quiyehecozque inic *quichicahuazque*
     in cuicatl, ihuan teponaztli, olmaitl, huehuetl: ihuan in
     ixquich macehuallatquitl,.
      he commanded the singers to rehearse and practise the song
     and [to prepare] the two-toned drums, the rubber drum hammers,
     and the ground drums, and all the properties used in the
     dance. (b.8 f.3 p.56).

tichicahuaz**

29. oc cenca timoyollotechihuaz, oc *tichicahuaz*, oc timaciz:.
      "especially art thou to become courageous, art thou yet
     to become strong, art thou yet to reach maturity." (b.6
     f.10 p.116).

30. oncan o, ic ipan *tichicahuaz* in tlapaliuhcayotl in nenamictiliztli:.
      then, thereby, thou wilt become strong in the union, in
     the marriage. (b.6 f.10 p.116).