"Gay" in Nahuatl?

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Sat May 3 16:21:29 UTC 2014

Hi Listeros

I was just reading a brochure in Nahuatl published by CONAPRED Mexicos
national commission for the prevention of discrimination. In this
translation it describes the right not to be discriminated for ones
sexuality with the word "cuiloni" and "cuiloncayotl". According to Molina
this word meant "puto que padece", likely in reference to the passive,
receptive or "effeminate" partner in a male/male sexual relation. first of
all it struck me as an odd choice of word to describe homosexuality in a
human rights context, and secondly I thought that I have never heard this
word used in contemporary Nahuatl. (Here is a link to the brochure for
those interested
http://www.conapred.org.mx/userfiles/files/Enadis-2010-Nahuatl-Web_INACCSS.pdf)

For this reason I thought I would ask you about which Nahuatl words you
know for the different types of non-normative sexual identities, gay,
homosexual, bisexual, transvestite, transgendered etc. and how they are
used. I'd be happy to know for each term where it is used (community and
region), whether it is used pejoratively or neutrally (do anyone
selfidentify with it) and if you have any examples of how it might be used
that would be excellent. I am thinking of collating the results into a blog
post.

Thanks beforehand!

Magnus

--