OLAC-Outreach "Office hours" in Boston

Heidi Johnson ailla at AILLA.ORG
Wed Oct 8 16:27:27 UTC 2003

Jeff,
I definitely won't be going to Boston, too much travel with no
budget. But it'd be great if you and/or someone could do some
office hours. Maybe it would be enough to have some handouts
to give people, which various of us could contribute, and to
use the laptop to show people the EMELD and OLAC sites.

The key points we need people to understand are that they have
to do metadata, like it or not, and that archiving things is not
the same as putting up their own websites. Archiving is about a
commitment to permanence, not principally about web-accessibility.
So I guess the main point is preservation, which means METADATA!!!

I would be happy to help work up some zippy metadata primer handouts,
by email...

Oh, and people will undoubtedly ask about file formats and how to
produce them. All of our documentary grad students are in a fervor
trying to figure out which gadgets will get which formats in and
out of their computers. We want people to understand that for
archiving, more is better, and that we want at least CD quality:
16 bit / 44.1 Khz wav files.

I wonder if we could somehow produce a handout for each of the
EMELD workgroups? Is that asking too much? There's pages on the
web site, but it's nice for people to have something to hold in their
hands and read while they're loitering around the lobby.

Heidi

Heidi Johnson, PhD.                                    ailla at ailla.org
Project Manager                                        www.ailla.org
The University of Texas at Austin
Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America
Dept. of Anthropology, EPS 1.130
1 University Station C3200                             (512) 495-4604
Austin, Texas 78712-1086