OLAC-Outreach "Office hours" in Boston

Jeff Good jcgood at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Oct 10 23:55:33 UTC 2003

Heidi,

> I wonder if we could somehow produce a handout for each of the
> EMELD workgroups? Is that asking too much? There's pages on the
> web site, but it's nice for people to have something to hold in their
> hands and read while they're loitering around the lobby.

I think that's a great idea, and if the handouts had some prominent
OLAC/EMELD logo, they'd be good advertising. Metadata handouts for sure,
there's the Gentle intro., and we could also have maybe short
primers from you (and maybe Gary) about actually using OLAC metadata with
your archives.

Resource formats would be good, too. And maybe character encoding
(Debbie?). Also, I think a primer on descriptive versus logical markup
(and why the latter is better) would be good. I can write up something
about that.

If anyone else has any suggestions for handouts, that would be good.

Michael--do you know if EMELD was already thinking of producing any such
handouts? Should there be an appropriate division of labour?

Jeff