OLAC-Outreach "Office hours" in Boston

Heidi Johnson ailla at AILLA.ORG
Mon Oct 13 21:09:02 UTC 2003

Jeff wrote (re: handouts):
> I think that's a great idea, and if the handouts had some prominent
> OLAC/EMELD logo, they'd be good advertising. Metadata handouts for sure,
> there's the Gentle intro., and we could also have maybe short
> primers about actually using OLAC metadata with your archives.
Some worked out metadata examples, for some typical resources like
a recording + annotation text files would be really helpful for people,
I suspect. It would show them what they would actually have to produce.
A paper analog to the EMELD interface would be nice, even just a
printout or a big screenshot, maybe, so they could take it home and
apply it to their own data.

> Resource formats would be good, too.
People need hard information about formats, about recording, and about
digitizing. Everyone wants to do it, and there is a paucity of sound
information available.

> Also, I think a primer on descriptive versus logical markup
> (and why the latter is better) would be good. I can write up something
> about that.
I don't even know what this means! Good thing you're volunteering for
it.

Maybe we could elicit little flyers from some of language archives, so
people would know (a) who and where we are and (b) that there's someone
they can write to if they have detailed questions. We have a colorful
brochure for this purpose, probably other places do too.

Heidi

Heidi Johnson, PhD.                                    ailla at ailla.org
Project Manager                                        www.ailla.org
The University of Texas at Austin
Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America
Dept. of Anthropology, EPS 1.130
1 University Station C3200                             (512) 495-4604
Austin, Texas 78712-1086