LSA/SSILA 2005

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Feb 23 16:56:21 UTC 2004

The consensus seems to be that a booth in the publisher's area is the
best bet. I just wrote to the LSA Secretariat asking for some info; we'll
see what that produces.

There are lots of us, actually - probably at least 5 who would be want
to display posters and handouts and maybe give demos (AILLA, ANLC maybe,
PARADISEC maybe, Rausing probably, LINGUIST/EMELD certainly, and then
all those big fancy speech recognition databases - they must have money :-).
I can't be sure until I see what we get back in indirect costs this year,
but AILLA could probably scrape up a couple of hundred bucks. Or, if it's
like thousands and we figure it out soon enough, we might be able to get
a little grant from somewhere.  NSF has various special pockets for symposia
and suchlike.

Maybe we could persuade someone at Berkeley, through someone who recently
went to Berkeley (Jeff), to lend us things like a projector and screen.
We could have an OLAC banner as primary identifier, and then posters +
handouts for all the other participating groups.

Is it done to schedule specific sorts of demos, say AILLA 2-4 Sat. and
PARADISEC 1-3 Fri.? We could put flyers with the schedule and general
info on the registration table.

I really think it's worth trying to pull this together. It's important to
keep sending the message, to get the whole idea of archiving into people's
heads. We need to effect a sea-change in our field, especially among
documentary linguists.

I'll post whatever I learn from the Secretariat.

Heidi